TaborRacing9

Lowered the Cobra this weekend!!

I used to be cool like that, but I fixed my exhaust setup and riding a little higher now so I dont scrape. :( Makes me sad

haha. my exhaust has never scraped. I've shot sparks from smacking the k-member once, but I've never touched the exhaust and only drag the bumper out of my driveway

thank you guys.. :)

i was wondering... is there any type of iso on another make/model/year vehicle whose isos's are thinner than the oem ones? I wouldnt mind having it just a hair lower but i really really dont want to pull out the isos.... also... if your answer to my first question is "no".... do you guys know of any homemade rubber isos.. like... buying rubber at homedepot and fabricating it yourself? lol just wondering... eletrical tape also wont do it for me.. id really appreciate help/input... thanks boys

Personally, I don't like urethane isolators. I don't buy into the whole "will last forever, better for performance" hype. I've had both, and I can tell from experience that urethane isolators are harder to work with, since they are less flexible, and they are also squeaky, where as stock isolators were silent. Last forever? Perhaps. But so will stockers. Mine were just fine, and they had 150k miles on them. Better for performance? Unlikely. Once stock rubber is compressed under weight of the car and pressure of the spring, there is no give there. At that point it is as good as solid. Urethane will do the same. Will it be better in any way? I don't think so.

My suggestion. Save the money, reuse stock isolators if they look ok, or purchase OEM replacement. Don't bother with urethane.

Actually i'm pretty sure the aftermarket ones are thinner since they're urethane. The rubber ones are pretty.. cushy. But, then again, the cushy OEM ones will ride better.

The urethane is stiffer and doesn't compress as much....that's why they will keep the car higher. Were talking a very small amount thats probably not visible by eye lol.....and you have to consider the fact that the OEM isos are probably worn as well. Mine were like destroyed and had holes in them

Personally, I don't like urethane isolators. I don't buy into the whole "will last forever, better for performance" hype. I've had both, and I can tell from experience that urethane isolators are harder to work with, since they are less flexible, and they are also squeaky, where as stock isolators were silent. Last forever? Perhaps. But so will stockers. Mine were just fine, and they had 150k miles on them. Better for performance? Unlikely. Once stock rubber is compressed under weight of the car and pressure of the spring, there is no give there. At that point it is as good as solid. Urethane will do the same. Will it be better in any way? I don't think so.

My suggestion. Save the money, reuse stock isolators if they look ok, or purchase OEM replacement. Don't bother with urethane.

i have oem ones.... ^that didnt help at all. roflmao :)

The urethane is stiffer and doesn't compress as much....that's why they will keep the car higher. Were talking a very small amount thats probably not visible by eye lol.....and you have to consider the fact that the OEM isos are probably worn as well. Mine were like destroyed and had holes in them

debateable. I had Iso's in the rear at one point...

004.jpg

no isos':

DSC_0046.jpg

Edited by iRoush

Removing the spring isolators will usually net in 1/4" of lowering. That's noticeable to the naked eye. The poly iso's won't compress as much, so they tend to sit about 3/8" higher than a vehicle with no isolators (1/8" higher than stock compressed rubber isolators). If the noise bothers you, wrap some electrical tape around the coil where it connects with the control arm and frame, and be done with it. The extra 1/4" you gain in lowering is worth it.

I'll apologize for the pictures now, these were taken with an old 35mm camera and then scanned into the computer, sometime around 1999.

Here's my 96 GT, bone stock:

BeforeLowering.jpg

Here's my 96 GT with an Eibach Pro-Kit, BBK caster/camber kit, and no iso's:

GTSideView.jpg

Looks good Tabor, definite improvement.

and poly isos are definitely thicker than the stock rubber ones, if you don't like the tape idea I've heard of people using bike tire tubing but who knows how long those would hold up. my stock isos like Justin said were destroyed.