WildWillyWalker

Continental 4v Purchase, Price, Disassembly

I've been trying to find deals on Teksid blocks, Cobra cranks, 4v heads, etc. I've already purchased a 99 Cobra shortblock from work which has a cracked pistonfor $250. I'm just hoping the Teksid block and crank are good. I'll scrap the rods and pistons.

Two weekends ago myself and onelow2v took a trip two hours away to Philly to pick up an 01 Continental engine for $150 which he had previously listed as... $300 or something like that. This included the transmission and frame. Brownie was a sport to go with me because I don't have a truck so I had no way of bringing the engine back. What sucked was that I found out it was not an 01 Continental. It had the early Continental style intake and spark plug wires. From what I've read online, the heads should be identical to 96-98 Cobra heads up until 00 when they had the same as the 99-01 c heads. However, I'm only going by what I read online since Sean Hyland Motorsports and Johnny Lightning never got back to me. And no one else could give me a straight answer (MMR, etc.).

http://www.modularfords.com/f164/01-cobra-motor-vs-01-continental-85810/

Anyway, we got to this guy's house and the Continental is back halved and the whole subframe was on the ground, but the strut was stuck on the one fender that was still attached to the car. As soon as we were there, he said he'd give me everything for $100. With some more torching and a chain hooked up to an S10, it came out. The engine hoist wasn't strong enough so we had to separate the engine and the subframe. Let's just say we left about two hours later, but with a ton of scrap AND the two cats from the car. Here's a breakdown of the cost so far and the next post will include pictures.

Engine/Subframe/2 Cats/Struts/errrrthang - -$100

Breakfast for myself and Brownie - $20 (-$120)

Gas - $50 (-$170)

Dinner for myself and Brownie - $40 (-$210)

Two cats - $90 ($-120)

So I'm in the hole $120 and I have a bunch to scrap yet including quite a bit of aluminum.

If anyone can confirm that the heads are the same as the Cobras, that'd be great. I haven't checked for any part numbers on the heads yet. Probably be a smart thing to do....

Not consecutive days....

Picking up the engine:

dyta2a5a.jpg

senadaje.jpg

Saw this on the way back. We ran if off the road.

a6yvy9yt.jpg

Day 1:

nygume9a.jpg

apysuzav.jpg

saryqejy.jpg

Day 2:

uvyvaqab.jpg

egavanat.jpg

Day 3 w/ closeups of the timing setup:

avyzate8.jpg

equ5ugu7.jpg

ysepa6ur.jpg

na7a8u3u.jpg

edumuby8.jpg

Day 4:

epahu2yj.jpg

baty2uqe.jpg

a6y3a7ud.jpg

6e6y6egy.jpg

ereheqys.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are sideways but... I just don't care.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nice more b heads! we are gonna have to set up a DOHC graveyard soon. definitily not an 01 BTW, but i think we already figured this out:heh: what im saying is. the heads are not the same as the 01 cobra. since 01's used the tumble port C heads not the B's, i thought you knew this!

Edited by Sleeperstang1994

you are aware that the Lincoln Continental is set up for front wheel drive right? :look: That block is no good in a rwd car the bellhousing pattern is different.

Fully aware. I bought the engine just for the heads. Last time I went to the scrap yard I was told aluminum sells for $.52 per lb and the block should way around 80 pounds so guess who's making money. ^^

nice more b heads! we are gonna have to set up a DOHC graveyard soon. definitily not an 01 BTW, but i think we already figured this out:heh: what im saying is. the heads are not the same as the 01 cobra. since 01's used the tumble port C heads not the B's, i thought you knew this!

I do know? ^.- And I know that in 99 they changed to the C heads but used the same intake with an adapter plate! Crap... or was it a new intake with the b heads. Hah! I forget.

You guys are always messing with something. Too bad you guys didnt live a little closer.

Ah man, you're not that far away. I graduated from Penn Tech in Dec 09. I hope to take a drive up there sometime this fall to check it out and take a ride up the mountain. Maybe we'd be able to meet up.

Edited by WildWillyWalker

there is a method to the madness i promise. we are looking into maybe reselling some of the heads. they are not making any of these parts new anymore. you can buy a bare set of 04 cobra heads or ford GT heads. but who the heck has 1300 per side. we shall see. nothing in stone yet. if it dosent pan out....scrap it all lol

Yeah, I'm just jumping on any deals I find. In the end it will be like I got the heads for free minus the work I spent tearing it all apart. I didn't necessarily want c heads, just 4v heads period. It's sort of a show off thread and to show that deals are out there.

My friend's dad took a lot of scrap to the junkyard for and I got another $40. I'll be going tomorrow to scrap the block and some other stuff.

Engine/Subframe/2 Cats/Struts/errrrthang - -$100

Breakfast for myself and Brownie - $20 (-$120)

Gas - $50 (-$170)

Dinner for myself and Brownie - $40 (-$210)

Two cats - $90 ($-120)

Subframe/Struts/Etc. - $40 ($-80)

This has yet to go:

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

Scrapped the rest of the motor along with the timing cover, intake, imrcs, two rotors, and a differential for $57.32Engine/Subframe/2 Cats/Struts/errrrthang - -$100 Breakfast for myself and Brownie - $20 (-$120) Gas - $50 (-$170) Dinner for myself and Brownie - $40 (-$210) Two cats - $90 ($-120) Subframe/Struts/Etc. - $40 ($-80)Engine/Torque Conv/Etc. - $57 (-$23)Total - Set back $23 and I have a complete set of heads to show for it.If I didn't count gas or food, I made out even better. Also, I have a lead on some 03 Cobra cams for $50. Things are coming together slowly but steadly. :)

I just got around to disassembling the heads so I thought I'd share. I have 46 pictures so I'll try to only post a few.

Also, here's my '99 Cobra shortblock. I removed and scraped the pistons and rods.

IMG_0032_zps70117b40.jpg

IMG_0033_zpsbc5b3c22.jpg

My buddy Josh hooked me up as usual. Tools to remove the valvetrain and lock the cams in place would cost me over $200.

IMG_0037_zps97562dce.jpg

IMG_0039_zpscc296e7f.jpg

IMG_0038_zpsf1c7d5ec.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsac6e7a57.jpg

IMG_0045_zps670a28f5.jpg

IMG_0048_zpsb7b99530.jpg

My heads are on the floor. Joshs's two sets of B heads are on the tool box. One set is from the '98 Cobra engine he bought and the other is from a Mark 8.

IMG_0051_zps2672f994.jpg

IMG_0052_zps651eed5d.jpg

IMG_0053_zps9d221cdf.jpg

IMG_0054_zps6850fe3e.jpg

IMG_0056_zps229c1fc0.jpg

I took my heads home to take off the cams.

IMG_0057_zps9b5fdaee.jpg

IMG_0058_zpsef5ff446.jpg

IMG_0062_zpsc05cf97a.jpg

IMG_0064_zps3e83c2e1.jpg

IMG_0065_zps5584d925.jpg

IMG_0066_zps69828a49.jpg

IMG_0067_zps90af0bcb.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsa94f7392.jpg

IMG_0072_zps8584c2a3.jpg

IMG_0074_zps6cf5a984.jpg

IMG_0075_zps70a91e65.jpg

IMG_0078_zps02036506.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsc1290081.jpg

IMG_0082_zps2f452334.jpg

IMG_0084_zps034897e0.jpg

IMG_0085_zps88aa6550.jpg

conti heads are in the parts washer for the last 2 days. looking good so far. the ammount of carbo in the secondary intake runner is stagering. soaked them for 48 hrs and its still rock hard!

Thats crazy. i was able to soak mine in some brake clean for about a day and they loosened up and was able to chip most of it out. You could also try just getting a wire wheel brush for a dremel and using that to clean most of it up, i did that with my IMRC plates.

Thats crazy. i was able to soak mine in some brake clean for about a day and they loosened up and was able to chip most of it out. You could also try just getting a wire wheel brush for a dremel and using that to clean most of it up, i did that with my IMRC plates.

That's what I'll probably end up doing.