MMR

How to Make a Fibreglass or Carbon Fibre Car Parts

he makes some neat stuff its just too bad his finishing work sucks as bad as it does. What is the use of putting a manf badge into the panel to make it look good if your finishing coat looks like it was applied and sanded by a 6 yr old?

He said his gel coat wont dry with out the heat form the glass hardner, but when I had to make some gel coat repairs on my old skiff the gel coat i bought at West marine dried with no problem. I want to make an A-pillar gage pod for the Nova. Maybe this summer I will mess with some fiberglass and see what I can come up with

Matt

Just sayin if your going to post pics and show how great it is, why not take the time to sand it smooth?

prpvinyl - let me know when you are ready and I can send the build pics for the a-pillar I modifide. I currently have the build pics for the two gauges in the steering pod I made on my cardomain site which was a similar project. Hell if I didn't care about making them look pretty like he did it would be a few hours to make on at the most.... 2 hrs of that is just dry time.

post-61-13881837145662_thumb.jpg

post-61-1388183714617_thumb.jpg

build pics for the steering pod are at the bottom here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-8/

Edited by ttocs

Just sayin if your going to post pics and show how great it is, why not take the time to sand it smooth?

In the guy in the videos case; it's because he is making his for a racecar and not a show car. So the finish doesn't really matter.

The reason for posting it was just because I thought well it looks easy and pretty straight forward and I like the idea of custom fabricating stuff like this out of CF or fibreglass.

When you do yours, you can always sand them smooth and polish them up to get the perfect even finish, but this was just to show how easy it is th work with this stuff. :)

I know he is just doing a quick/easy job but I am just pointing out the irony of,"I will add this to make it look better" when he needed to spend an hour sanding. In the case of the racecare he made the raised-letter carbon fiber dash. Why bother putting the raised logo when it looks like you gave it to your toddler to do the finishing work? And they why put it on the web as a "Look at what I can do?!". He is obviously an industry pro selling his wares so to me to show it off with the quality of work I have seen most average DIY/shade-tree installers do is just kind a low class honestly. I am on an 12v audio industry forum where you need to be a working pro, or in my case have been a working pro when you got in, to get in. Hell if I post pics there of my sound damping logo put on a door upside down I would hear about it this dude would get a new ahole ripped in him there.

Yet I read the comments and I can't help but think I am being too critical - OF MY OWN WORK. just last night infact I was putting my finishing coat of resin on the back side of a hinged cover that will not be seen in my most recent project. Today I will be block sanding it smooth just in case someone does ever look under it they will not only wonder "how did he/they make that?" as well as "who made that" or "is that a stock piece", so that all the questions end with "YOU, MADE this?!"

Thanks for the compliments while I do it all to satisfy my own personal desires of course its nice to hear.

prpvinyl - let me know when you are ready and I can send the build pics for the a-pillar I modifide. I currently have the build pics for the two gauges in the steering pod I made on my cardomain site which was a similar project. Hell if I didn't care about making them look pretty like he did it would be a few hours to make on at the most.... 2 hrs of that is just dry time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1363[/ATTACH]

build pics for the steering pod are at the bottom here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-8/

Thanks for the offer, it will be later in the spring as the next couple of months are going to be pretty busy at work. I basically have to build the Pillar and the PODs from scratch as no one makes an after market pillar for my car.

Matt

I am bringing this to the top.  Thanks.  Just spent 2 days watching videos on Youtube on building carbon fiber bits.  Now to find a source for supplies and to start playing and trial and error to make my own stuff.

BigMilanCarbon has about 50 videos on making carbon fiber parts.  Very informative for what works and what doesn't.  Start at his oldest and work your way to the newest.