Schiffy

Engine build possibly?

So I've been picking people's brains that I know, who are modular guys, one is Jason(Snive troll) we go way back as man do we have some stories! Hahahaha... Anyways, I found an aluminum block out of a mark 8 at pick n pull, along with about 10 '01+ crown Vic's that have the PI heads, and a handful of Explorers that potentially have the plastic PI intake. Cost wise, shortblock- $145, aluminum heads W/cams- $77ea and plastic intakes are $32. So I am thinking of heading to pick and pull and snagging it all up. Send the heads off to the Head Shop (where Jason's heads got worked) have them ported and rebuilt, slap it all on the shortblock with the stock flat top pistons and go with a higher CR NA car. Take a week off and swap all remaining parts on my current engine to the aluminum block. Obviously I would look into some new cams better than PI, timing crap, do Longtubes and a new k member all at once. What are y'all's thoughts? I'm a dreamer, but I think I could do this on a smaller budget. May be able to hit that 300hp mark! Haha...

if you're going to go through that much work of building an engine, do yourself a favor and notch the pistons, gives you an unlimited amount of options for cams to run versus if you run no notches, you're severely restricted with the cams you can use.

I like the idea, i'm all for high compression modulars, these engines love compression under N/A circumstances.

if you're going to go through that much work of building an engine, do yourself a favor and notch the pistons, gives you an unlimited amount of options for cams to run versus if you run no notches, you're severely restricted with the cams you can use.

I like the idea, i'm all for high compression modulars, these engines love compression under N/A circumstances.

I thought about getting a new set of pistons that came setup with bigger valve reliefs. From what I've seen they'd be between $350-500.

I thought about getting a new set of pistons that came setup with bigger valve reliefs. From what I've seen they'd be between $350-500.

you can have valve reliefs cut into the stock pistons for like $100 iirc. it's up to you which route you want to take.

you can have valve reliefs cut into the stock pistons for like $100 iirc. it's up to you which route you want to take.

I thought it would be more $$$. Definately would be easier to just go that route!

Also look at the condition of the shortblock, it would be a wise move to replace the bearings in the bottom end while you have it out along with possibly new rings(assuming the pistons come out to be notched).

If your serious about building a motor, ill sell you a complete shortblock (02gt) that needs to be assembled, every last nut bolt and piece is there. Only like 70k on the motor. Dirt cheap, you just have to get it from my garage (im in california).

Also look at the condition of the shortblock, it would be a wise move to replace the bearings in the bottom end while you have it out along with possibly new rings(assuming the pistons come out to be notched).

If your serious about building a motor, ill sell you a complete shortblock (02gt) that needs to be assembled, every last nut bolt and piece is there. Only like 70k on the motor. Dirt cheap, you just have to get it from my garage (im in california).

If I lived in Cali that may be an option, but by the time I pay for the engine and pay freight shipping it would defeat the "cheap build" I'm going after! lol... In fact, I think freight is $150, which means I'd pay more in shipping than I would buying one at pick n pull locally.

If I lived in Cali that may be an option, but by the time I pay for the engine and pay freight shipping it would defeat the "cheap build" I'm going after! lol... In fact, I think freight is $150, which means I'd pay more in shipping than I would buying one at pick n pull locally.

Chris, Hunter (CopMagnet) is from Moyock, NC. It's like 10 minutes from my parents house. He's in Cali right now for Marine training.

Haha, yeah. He's a local. All the parts are in his parent's garage. Might be worth looking into ;)

Only issue with that is, the mark 8 block would bump my CR with the flat top pistons.

Sent from my secretary!!!

Just an option. I need the stuff gone and your building a motor..it may be worth it to you just for all the bolts, oil pump, water pump, timing covers, valve covers, blah blah..

Just an option. I need the stuff gone and your building a motor..it may be worth it to you just for all the bolts, oil pump, water pump, timing covers, valve covers, blah blah..

Throw a price at me, and ill see what I can do.

Matt i guess this is where you come handy. lol

I have your truck!!! Actually, if I lay the seats down in the van, it would fit in there. By the way, I would most definitely throw new bearings and rings in it before I built it.

I would really like to see what would be left of you after Tonya gets ahold of you when you throw a dirty ass engine in the back of the van. Now that would be some funny shit

matt

I told her about it last night. She agrees that our van could fit the engine and get better has mileage than a truck. I have a bunch of old moving boxes laying around that in would put in the back to protect everything.

To hit 300 all you need is a set of 270 comp cams, pi manifold, a better flowing intake tb and plenum, and some injectors with an intelligent tune..... I did it 304/310

We talking about my current engine, the '02 engine or the mark 8 engine?

A Pi head npi block combo

Gotcha... The one benefit to picking up the '02 engine is, I can build it on the stand while I still daily drive my car. I can(from what I've researched) easily pick up some PI heads at pick n pull, and possibly the PI intake off an explorer. Then Longtubes, UD pulleys and possibly have the pistons fly cut and throw a bigger cam in it. All while I still drive the car.

I would really like to see what would be left of you after Tonya gets ahold of you when you throw a dirty ass engine in the back of the van. Now that would be some funny shit

matt

tossed it all in the van yesterday. Hunters house is in a beautiful area, and though he says they're all slow, there were a lot of really nice cars driving down the 1 street in his neighborhood. hell a run to the entrance and back to his house is 3 miles! LOL... I really appreciate it Hunter, when I get back from church this morning, i'm going to start piecing stuff together and figure out which direction i'm going to go. I think I may save and go the route Jason's talking with forged rods and pistons, just get flat tops and have them notched and run some ridiculous cam. haha...

Now were talking.

If I had $500, I found a set of Manley forged h beam Rods and Ross flat top forged pistons used for $500, and by used I mean bought from company, but never installed.