OnyxCobra

How boned am I?

In my dismantling haste on Saturday I didn't check the pinion bearing preload before removing the pinion flange nut, did I screw myself?

Edited by OnyxCobra

hmm, so according to my manual it says the pinion flange nut takes 140 lbs of torque, so would you suggest torquing that to 140 and then go up from there as I check preload? Am I reading this right, the preload is the tq it takes to spin the pinion gear?

Ya that is no problem. Like what is said tighten it in stages with hand tools . you will want to check rotating torque with a dial torque wrench. I would say 12-15 nm since you have used bearings . I do this stuff all the time at work . I work at american axle in product validation. That should do it!

I put the flange back on with the impact so i hope i didn't over tighten it. So 140 ft-lbs sounds right for the pinion flange nut? My rear end had a little bit of slack in it and would sometimes make a humming sound so I think I may actually need a little more tightness.

and nobody I know has an in-lb torque wrench, balls.

I put the flange back on with the impact so i hope i didn't over tighten it. So 140 ft-lbs sounds right for the pinion flange nut? My rear end had a little bit of slack in it and would sometimes make a humming sound so I think I may actually need a little more tightness.

and nobody I know has an in-lb torque wrench, balls.

You don't want to use a impact cause you risk crushing the crush collar more then you will never get the proper rotating torque. You want to bring it up to the collar then tighten as necessary to achieve the proper rotating torque. Or you can use a inch pound beam style torque wrench to chec k rotating torque

Hope this helps

but what i'm saying is the torque spec for the pinion flange nut is 140 lbs, so it has to be at least that much correct? I don't think i'm going to be able to get a torque wrench at least in the next couple days...

I would say 12-15 nm since you have used bearings

for what part exactly? that's 106-135 ft-lbs.

Edited by OnyxCobra