Str8racn

Steering gear choice

It's because we have next to 0 options. I've desperately been wanting better steering feel, but getting it is expensive... AGR is a crapshoot on quality, re-mans do the job but aren't really any better, 03 cobra racks are just about impossible to find new without 100k+ miles on them etc... Flaming River may be good, but they're expensive and I haven't heard much feedback on them. I'd prefer the setup that MM used to sell from KRC, but KRC quit making stuff for MM.

It's because we have next to 0 options. I've desperately been wanting better steering feel, but getting it is expensive... AGR is a crapshoot on quality, re-mans do the job but aren't really any better, 03 cobra racks are just about impossible to find new without 100k+ miles on them etc... Flaming River may be good, but they're expensive and I haven't heard much feedback on them. I'd prefer the setup that MM used to sell from KRC, but KRC quit making stuff for MM.

I mainly will be using mine for daily driving, so may end up with factory, BUT not without seeing what was out there and various opinions.

I mainly will be using mine for daily driving, so may end up with factory, BUT not without seeing what was out there and various opinions.

Definitely. If you come up with anything promising let me know.. I know CorteX racing is offering up a $400 rack that's supposed to be better, but it appears to me that it may just be an AGR and i'm not taking that gamble.

I read that. That doesn't mean that ours are "standard ratio".

Going back through my research it looks like I misread. all the racks are in fact 15:1. BUT, due to the use of the steering rack limiters on the VM and the VT the lock to lock ratio changed. The SPR-VT has bigger torsion bars (t-bars), and steering limiters that limit the lock to lock to 2 3/16 turns. The SPR-ZM has standard torsion bars, the only difference between this rack and the SPR-GY/RT/SH/SJ/ZL/ZK is that the ZM has steering rack limiters that limit the lock to lock to 2 1/2 turns. The SPR-GY/RT/SH/SJ/ZL/ZK all had standard torsion bars and no rack limiters. They had a lock to lock turn of 2 5/8.

I will tell you all this. From all the searching I have been doing. We aren't the only ones questioning what the hell we have or should go with. lol

biggest reason why that is, is the questionability of actually getting the VT internals for the terminator rack. Really its the luck of the draw because ford stuffed the ZM racks with whatever they had left over.

Edited by iRoush

Going back through my research it looks like I misread. all the racks are in fact 15:1. BUT, due to the use of the steering rack limiters on the VM and the VT the lock to lock ratio changed. The SPR-VT has bigger torsion bars (t-bars), and steering limiters that limit the lock to lock to 2 3/16 turns. The SPR-ZM has standard torsion bars, the only difference between this rack and the SPR-GY/RT/SH/SJ/ZL/ZK is that the ZM has steering rack limiters that limit the lock to lock to 2 1/2 turns. The SPR-GY/RT/SH/SJ/ZL/ZK all had standard torsion bars and no rack limiters. They had a lock to lock turn of 2 5/8.

biggest reason why that is, is the questionability of actually getting the VT internals for the terminator rack. Really its the luck of the draw because ford stuffed the VM racks with whatever they had left over.

Jerks :wacko: