Str8racn

Steering gear choice

I have a steering gear leak and see many options out there. What are your thoughts, what you have, etc. I see Flaming river has a manual option with quick ratio, but not sure I want to go that route. I have been all over the internet looking, but want to make the best bang for the buck so to speak.

I have a steering gear leak and see many options out there. What are your thoughts, what you have, etc. I see Flaming river has a manual option with quick ratio, but not sure I want to go that route. I have been all over the internet looking, but want to make the best bang for the buck so to speak.

what are you using the car for? it all depends on what you're looking to use the car for. I went to a quick ratio rack because I'm autocrossing and the less turns of the wheel the better. Got mine off a 2000 Cobra R... Cortex Racing sells quick ratio racks as well, that or flaming river are the only one's I'd recommend.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/sn95_quick_ratio_rack/

or for stiffer t-bar:

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/quick-ratio-steering-rack-with-stiff-t-bar-151-sn95/

I have a steering rack if you want to swap yours I'm sure we could work something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will look at some options and get with you on it. I appreciate it!

what are you using the car for? it all depends on what you're looking to use the car for. I went to a quick ratio rack because I'm autocrossing and the less turns of the wheel the better. Got mine off a 2000 Cobra R... Cortex Racing sells quick ratio racks as well, that or flaming river are the only one's I'd recommend.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/sn95_quick_ratio_rack/

or for stiffer t-bar:

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/quick-ratio-steering-rack-with-stiff-t-bar-151-sn95/

Daily driver basically and will see little of the drag strip for some passes. Just want to make smart purchase and not break the bank at the same time lol

Will look at some options and get with you on it. I appreciate it!

Daily driver basically and will see little of the drag strip for some passes. Just want to make smart purchase and not break the bank at the same time lol

just get an oem replacement from Rock auto imo

Edited by iRoush

What kinda chaching am I looking at to make that change?

03 cobra rack and steering shaft Lol its a direct replacement. That's what I have in my car and its super crisp!

What kinda chaching am I looking at to make that change?

Around $200-250, look on corral or svtperformance classifieds and you'll see some pop up here and there. I paid $250 for my 03 cobra rack and steering shaft including shipping from a guy on svtperformance :thumb:

Around $200-250, look on corral or svtperformance classifieds and you'll see some pop up here and there. I paid $250 for my 03 cobra rack and steering shaft including shipping from a guy on svtperformance :thumb:

I paid around that much from [MENTION=17]Javi[/MENTION]

The steering shaft itself is much better as the rag joints are polyurethane (i think) and the slip joints are a better construction as ours. and the ratio is higher meaning less rotations of the wheel to go from full lock to lock

The steering shaft itself is much better as the rag joints are polyurethane (i think) and the slip joints are a better construction as ours. and the ratio is higher meaning less rotations of the wheel to go from full lock to lock

debatable. there is a LOT of speculation on steering rack ratios. unless your steering rack has the code SPR-VT it is not a quicker ratio rack and you're basically paying more for no reason.

debatable. there is a LOT of speculation on steering rack ratios. unless your steering rack has the code SPR-VT it is not a quicker ratio rack and you're basically paying more for no reason.

Don't all 03-04s come sprvt from factory?

SPR VT is 2000 Cobra R only. SPR VM is terminator. some terminators were fitted with the internals of the SPR VT but most were just the 20:1 racks.

So its just a crapshoot on VM code racks? I was fairly positive the VM signified the better than gt ratio and cobra r was even better

So its just a crapshoot on VM code racks? I was fairly positive the VM signified the better than gt ratio and cobra r was even better

just a crap shoot. most people who feel a difference are just experiencing a placebo effect.

if you felt a VT rack the difference is night and day not just a little bit. The VT has stiffer t-bars and the quicker ratio making the wheel feel like it has no power steering except when sitting still when you can feel a tiny assist.

Proof or justification of this? Mainly because if I'm gonna feel shitty about buying a cobra rack from someone then I want proof why I got fisted

I did a ton of research on the racks, ill see if I can dig some up when I get home. but there's a reason why I sprung for a $450 rack over the VM...

Uhh. 15:1 is not quicker ratio than our stock racks. 20:1 is manual, and some of the older foxes had something between 15 and 20 I believe. "Quick ratio" is what we all have.

20:1 is stock ratio for all 94-04. The only standard equipment rack that came with a "quicker" ratio is the 00R with a 15:1 rack.

20:1 is stock ratio for all 94-04. The only standard equipment rack that came with a "quicker" ratio is the 00R with a 15:1 rack.

I've never ever ever ever heard that the stock ratio is 20:1. Ever. 15:1 should be 2.5 turns lock to lock and 20:1 should be 3...Not saying that i'm 100% sure, but you're the only person i've ever heard say that.

I made a call to our Ford store and researched online. The difference in the Cobra steering rack isn't the ratio. It is the different torsion bar inside which determines how much steering effort you have to apply before the power steering pump assists, so it contributes more to the steering feel. The 03 Cobra rack has less turns lock to lock and stiffer bushing, is what I have not only found, but called to be sure it was accurate.

03 Cobra steering 15:1 turning circle 41.7ft

94 Cobra 14.7:1

I've never ever ever ever heard that the stock ratio is 20:1. Ever. 15:1 should be 2.5 turns lock to lock and 20:1 should be 3...Not saying that i'm 100% sure, but you're the only person i've ever heard say that.

read: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_steering_rack

I made a call to our Ford store and researched online. The difference in the Cobra steering rack isn't the ratio. It is the different torsion bar inside which determines how much steering effort you have to apply before the power steering pump assists, so it contributes more to the steering feel. The 03 Cobra rack has less turns lock to lock and stiffer bushing, is what I have not only found, but called to be sure it was accurate.

03 Cobra steering 15:1 turning circle 41.7ft

94 Cobra 14.7:1

I hate to say it but that information is incorrect. cobra rack is NOT a 15:1 rack and the t-bars are not different. the only thing the terminator rack has differently is steering limiters due to the 17x9 wheels having clearance issues at full lock.

That must be why Late model restoration has this in the product description.....This housing is far superior to the earlier versions. Unit is superior to the early TRW type rack & pinion which was designed for econo cars, not performance cars. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to say it but that information is incorrect. cobra rack is NOT a 15:1 rack and the t-bars are not different. the only thing the terminator rack has differently is steering limiters due to the 17x9 wheels having clearance issues at full lock.

Now that makes sense.

This doesn't show that we have 20:1's though. Old foxes had 20:1's and then it changed in the 80's to the quick ratio racks.

"Standard ratio is 20:1. This means that for every 20 degrees of rotation of the steering wheel, the front tires will steer 1 degree"

This is copied off of Flaming River website.

Steering Specifications: STANDARD -- 20:1 ratio, 4 turns lock to lock. QUICK RATIO -- 15:1 ratio, 3.3 turns lock-to-lock (25% faster than a standard unit). Rack travel -- 5.25". Mounting position: 15-1/2" center-to-center