Str8racn

Suspension

I have stock struts right now with Eibach springs, but looking for coil overs. I like Det_roit and 95riosnake setups and need something that is durable and adjustable. Car is a daily driver, but on Houston roads, needs something that won't let the car bottom out. Riding on 18x9 fronts and 18x10 back currently. Brands? Setups? Springs? or Coilovers?

if you're looking for coilovers that are durable, quiet, and great for street. Maximum Motorsports' Coilover kit is the only way to go. I suggest bilstein HD shocks & struts to go along with it as they are great as far as ride quality goes.

UPR is nice if you're too poor to afford MM like me.

You could also scoop up some used hypercoil springs from [MENTION=6]iRoush[/MENTION] since he's selling some.

Then get some used bilsteins off a cobra (check on the corral) and then all you'll need is the actual coilover kit.

Also, do you already have camber plates on the car?

if you're looking for coilovers that are durable, quiet, and great for street. Maximum Motorsports' Coilover kit is the only way to go. I suggest bilstein HD shocks & struts to go along with it as they are great as far as ride quality goes.

You could also scoop up some used hypercoil springs from [MENTION=6]iRoush[/MENTION] since he's selling some.

Then get some used bilsteins off a cobra (check on the corral) and then all you'll need is the actual coilover kit.

What both of them said. Piece it together used and you'll save yourself a lot of coin. I haven't gone coil over in the rear yet. There's a large debate about the right way to do it and rear coil covers on the street. That being said if you do front coils you could pick up h&r super sports for the rear with weight jacker control arms for adjustability.

Posted via Topify using Android

Actually that is one I have shopped due to the research I have done online.

You could also scoop up some used hypercoil springs from @iRoush since he's selling some.

What spring rating should I go with?

Yes on the camber plates already.

What both of them said. Piece it together used and you'll save yourself a lot of coin. I haven't gone coil over in the rear yet. There's a large debate about the right way to do it and rear coil covers on the street. That being said if you do front coils you could pick up h&r super sports for the rear with weight jacker control arms for adjustability.

Thank you. Never knew there was such a debate on using rear coil overs. I can't stand wheel gap, but also don't like the sounds I hear when things are rubbing going over bumps, so want to be sure I get the correct spring rate in hopes of avoiding it. I will look into what you have suggested. I love to save chaching, as I am sure we all do lol

Edited by Str8racn

I agree with what everyone one has said. I was told by Jack @ MM (if I recall correctly) not to run a coilover setup in the rear for a car driven on the street regularly. I can see if I still have the emails or it might be in the build thread somewhere in the chaos. I plan on running a coilover setup up front and H&R rear springs (as others recommended) later on in life.

Spring rate depends on goals for the car. Varies vastly from autox to RR to drag to cruiser lol

I agree with what everyone one has said. I was told by Jack @ MM (if I recall correctly) not to run a coilover setup in the rear for a car driven on the street regularly. I can see if I still have the emails or it might be in the build thread somewhere in the chaos. I plan on running a coilover setup up front and H&R rear springs (as others recommended) later on in life.

Mostly cruiser with few and far between track visits. Not building a 10 second car, more high 11s or lows 12s.......at least for now

If you're not looking to get into AutoX or road racing i'd stay under 350lbs/ft on the front. I agree what everyone else has to say.. i'm also running MM's coil-overs on MM-2(race struts/shocks) and they're almost completely quiet. The rear springs twang every once and a while, but if you're determined to have rear coil-overs you can get a helper spring to fix that. I haven't yet but it's not a big issue..

I will give a more detailed response when I get home but I've found that 300/200 is perfect for Bilstein hd's at the appropriate ride height for a street car. car is soft enough to handle bad roads but stiff enough to corner as you ask it to.

I will give a more detailed response when I get home but I've found that 300/200 is perfect for Bilstein hd's at the appropriate ride height for a street car. car is soft enough to handle bad roads but stiff enough to corner as you ask it to.

I am very interested in this information as I have grooved Bilstein HDs from MM installed on my car currently with Steeda sport springs which aren't bad but I'd like to have the setup you are referring to.

DO NOT GO WITH UPR COILOVERS!!! I bought a set in April, installed them, drove around a few weeks then decided to drop the front end, however I couldn't/can't, because the fucking things have seized on both sides. Despite my emails and trouble calls on their website they will not respond. I even emailed Jeremy martorella directly... Nothing. Save yourself time, money an a headache and go MM.

I have the MM front coilover kit with stock Saleen (Bilstein) struts and 275 lb springs. In the back I run H&R super race springs per MM since they said I need stiffer springs for my audio system. Otherwise they'll probably point you towards the super sports. I also have MM extreme duty adjustable rear LCA's which are adjusted down the whole way.

@1low2v has the same setup but with the super sports in the rear.

I love the setup. Only one recent autocross under my belt with the setup but it's a 99% street car.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if your camber plates are 3 bolt, i'd recommend upgrading to a 4 bolt design as they will be supporting the weight of the entire coilover setup.

Especially if youre driving the car everyday and putting a strain on the coilovers.

Ok, to follow up on what I was stating earlier, 300# fronts and 200# rears are the best way to go for coilovers on a bilstein HD shock & strut. Keep in mind with that soft of a rate you need enough ride height so that you will not be riding on the bumpstops. When the car is sitting on the ground you want at LEAST a 1" gap between the shock body and the bumpstop in the rear. Ideally there should be a 1.5" gap though. Front bumpstops are internal so there's no way not check the fronts but essentially front and rear ride height should be essentially the same for that reason. This will allow for the most travel of the suspension and it will absorb bumps much better and more progressively versus just unsettling the car by smacking the bumpstops.

DO NOT GO WITH UPR COILOVERS!!! I bought a set in April, installed them, drove around a few weeks then decided to drop the front end, however I couldn't/can't, because the fucking things have seized on both sides. Despite my emails and trouble calls on their website they will not respond. I even emailed Jeremy martorella directly... Nothing. Save yourself time, money an a headache and go MM.

Agreed. UPR is scary to say the least. I wouldn't even buy a headlight knob from them.