Rich'Stang

Engine Swap Suggestions

I got into more of a project than I had planned when I recently purchased a 1999 GT convertible. 4.6L SOHC engine had a vortex installed by previous owner

and is ticking when first cold and gets louder and faster with gas. Assuming it's probably a rod or wrist pin, I have the oportunity to purchase either a

2004 4.6 SOHC and 5 speed out of a GT with 48k miles or a 2001 4.6 DOHC and 5 speed out of a Cobra with 72k miles. Both engines fire right up and sound

great. With or without regards to cost ( GT 2000.00 and Cobra 3500.00 ) . Both are complete with all accessories ecm and harnesses.

I pretty much decided on the Cobra engine unless I have experienced forum members who can convince me otherwise. I may utilize the vortex supercharger

that I already have but only if it is set up properly to not damage the new engine. All advise is appreciated. Thanks ! Rich

every one is going to have there preference. I would go with the 4V. im biased for starters. however stock for stock the cobra motor is the better engine. If you would decide to use your vortech those motors respond excellent to a little pressurized air!. As for the swap the cobra engine is a bit tighter of a squeeze than the SOHC motor(if you can believe that). so my votes in for he cobra motor. next

I don't plan on taking it to the track, just building a good looking street machine with a little more than meets the eye under the hood. I bought the 4v and based

on the reponses on here I made the right choice. I will probably add the vortec back after some research as I don't want to hurt the new motor. I may delete

cat pipe but stick with stock manifolds.I plan on setting boost between 6-8 pounds to be safe.

I got into more of a project than I had planned when I recently purchased a 1999 GT convertible. 4.6L SOHC engine had a vortex installed by previous owner

and is ticking when first cold and gets louder and faster with gas. Assuming it's probably a rod or wrist pin' date=' I have the oportunity to purchase either a

2004 4.6 SOHC and 5 speed out of a GT with 48k miles or a 2001 4.6 DOHC and 5 speed out of a Cobra with 72k miles. Both engines fire right up and sound

great. With or without regards to cost ( GT 2000.00 and Cobra 3500.00 ) . Both are complete with all accessories ecm and harnesses.

I pretty much decided on the Cobra engine unless I have experienced forum members who can convince me otherwise. I may utilize the vortex supercharger

that I already have but only if it is set up properly to not damage the new engine. All advise is appreciated. Thanks ! Rich[/quote']

I would probably diagnose the issue before doing a complete motor swap. Could be as simple as a header leak. 2vs make around 400-420 wheel and live under hard hard abuse with boost. Just my two cents

Ps. Welcome

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cant say much about the noise, but id try to fix that. its probably something stupid, like a header leak. if you cant, then do a motor swap. 2v or 4v is going to be a personal preference. 4vs cost way more for head work, and everything else associated with it. only real nice thing about 4vs is that you dont need to work the heads for serious power, just throw boost and a bottom end in and youre good