Venom351R

Cant update my router firmware.

Been awhile since I updated the firmware on my router so I went to the netgear site to the download section and put in my info for my router but when I hit the download now button it is not doing anything. The page just refesh's and does not bring me to the option to download anything. I tried this in 3 different browsers and w/ allowing pop ups from that site with my google chrome browser but it is the same result no matter what I do. I called customer support and I got some guy from India who was of no help at all. The only thing I can think of is if my purchase date is not correct but you also have the option to download the file w/ out submitting that info but it still will not bring me to the option to actually download the file.

I logged into my router and attempted to update the firmware that way but apparently my firmware is up to date even though I dont remember doing it for quite awhile. Still does not explain the mess that the netgear site is

basically a 3rd party firmware for your router that opens it up for more customization and more options.  a lot of times it's more stable than the firmware from the manufacturer and you can overclock it to get more range from your wireless or turn a basic router in a Bridge.  I use it on most of my routers if it is supported.

www.dd-wrt.com

Thats cool. The closet model # they have listed for mine is the Netgear WGR614V8 but mine is actually the WGR614V10 so how much of a difference does that make?

If you went to install it, it would probably brick your router.  Although you can get a new V10 for less than $20 it might be fun to try out.  

But seen as how DD-WRT isn't 100% the answer here, what version of firmware are you looking at downloading from Netgear, i just want to see if I can download it, to see if its an issue with them, or with your pc.

Edit:  I was able to download V1.0.2.60 from their site.

Whatever their latest firmware is for North America I was able to install awhile ago when I went into my router settings and searched the web for updates. I made this thread b/c I was having such a hard time getting the down load to work directly from their site so I made this thread, then I went into my router settings and saw that it was up to date w/ the latest firmware I just had forgotten that I had previous updated it.