WildWillyWalker

Warcraft/Diablo Compatibility Issues

Looking to get my game on and install Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne and Diablo 2/Expansion on my new computer (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/desktop-16gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/1362128.p?id=1219050992109&skuId=1362128&st=categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=3) but I keep having problems. Diablo tries to open but just doesn't and Warcraft won't display correctly. Any clue why the colors are all messed up? I've tried a few compatibility changes but nothing seems to work.

which diablo game are you trying to launch?  I remember having troubles opening 3 on my PC until I edited some .txt files that had default settings for the game.

does the color go crazy only with Wow? Have you tried any other games or anything else that is graphically intense.  

which diablo game are you trying to launch?  I remember having troubles opening 3 on my PC until I edited some .txt files that had default settings for the game.

does the color go crazy only with Wow? Have you tried any other games or anything else that is graphically intense.  

I actually installed an old Age of Empires game and that worked perfectly fine. I'm trying to play Diablo 2 (which I have installed), but when I try to play either, nothing happens. The install went fine.

Only the color seems to be messed up on Warcraft 3. I tried a single player custom game real quick and the color was still messed up but I haven't tried anything else.

PS - How is Diablo 3? I was contemplating buying it.

I actually installed an old Age of Empires game and that worked perfectly fine. I'm trying to play Diablo 2 (which I have installed), but when I try to play either, nothing happens. The install went fine.

Only the color seems to be messed up on Warcraft 3. I tried a single player custom game real quick and the color was still messed up but I haven't tried anything else.

PS - How is Diablo 3? I was contemplating buying it.

are you running win 8 or 7? 32 or 64?

diablo 3 is dynamite. love the game. i play it on my xbox with a buddy and its a lot of fun. i would highly recommend it if you liked diablo 2

are you running win 8 or 7? 32 or 64?

diablo 3 is dynamite. love the game. i play it on my xbox with a buddy and its a lot of fun. i would highly recommend it if you liked diablo 2

Windows 8.

I saw Diablo 3 was on xbox, I was like hmmm. Idk if that would be more fun than on the computer. It seems like the gameplay is quite a bit different than 2.

Hmmm, I'm on 7 and both run fine.  The problem with BOTH of them is that they are a 4:3 ratio and look like shit on a widescreen monitor, especially Diablo 2.  

As for your system, have you installed the lastest Nvidia drivers for your video card?  From the actual Nvidia website?  I know I can get D2 to run fine on Win 7 so it might be a win8 thing.  Warcraft 3 is a DX9 game IIRC and Diablo 2 is like original Playstation quality lol.  

As for Diablo 3, I hated it.  Its ok as a console game but no skill trees to develop like D2, no synergies, everything is basically spoon fed to you, VERY simplistic.  If you want the spiritual successor to Diablo 2 get Path of Exile.  

Or just get Skyrim.  Seriously if you are going to play  RPG/platformer there is no other game I can think of that even comes close.  And with the mod community out there for it its a pretty ridiculous game that you can do ANYTHING in.

Hmmm, I'm on 7 and both run fine.  The problem with BOTH of them is that they are a 4:3 ratio and look like shit on a widescreen monitor, especially Diablo 2.  

As for your system, have you installed the lastest Nvidia drivers for your video card?  From the actual Nvidia website?  I know I can get D2 to run fine on Win 7 so it might be a win8 thing.  Warcraft 3 is a DX9 game IIRC and Diablo 2 is like original Playstation quality lol.  

As for Diablo 3, I hated it.  Its ok as a console game but no skill trees to develop like D2, no synergies, everything is basically spoon fed to you, VERY simplistic.  If you want the spiritual successor to Diablo 2 get Path of Exile.  

Or just get Skyrim.  Seriously if you are going to play  RPG/platformer there is no other game I can think of that even comes close.  And with the mod community out there for it its a pretty ridiculous game that you can do ANYTHING in.

Interesting. I need to watch some gameplay of Skyrim as I've heard about it but have absolutely no idea of what it's like. I'll check into the Nvidia stuff. I have the DX11 or whatever so I assume that should be more than ok.

Well directx is a microsoft thing.  You need to go to the actual Nvidia site, find the drivers specifically for your card (or series of card if they do it like AMD) and download/install the updated driver.  A good tool to use honestly is called "slimdrivers".  Download that (do a custom install and make sure to uncheck any AVG toolbar bullshit) and it should just go out and get any/all updated drivers for you.  Good way to keep your system updated.  

As for Skyrim.. here's a compilation video of mods from one of my favorite mod authors.  Just shows a little of what Skyrim is capable of.  Honestly its what Fable should have been, you can do anything, BE anything.  And thats before you start going nuts installing mods from Nexus or Steam workshop.  

Well directx is a microsoft thing.  You need to go to the actual Nvidia site, find the drivers specifically for your card (or series of card if they do it like AMD) and download/install the updated driver.  A good tool to use honestly is called "slimdrivers".  Download that (do a custom install and make sure to uncheck any AVG toolbar bullshit) and it should just go out and get any/all updated drivers for you.  Good way to keep your system updated.  

As for Skyrim.. here's a compilation video of mods from one of my favorite mod authors.  Just shows a little of what Skyrim is capable of.  Honestly its what Fable should have been, you can do anything, BE anything.  And thats before you start going nuts installing mods from Nexus or Steam workshop.  

Cool, thanks. I'm going to install NVidia's automatic updater.

Yeah try that and then try running the games you want in WinXP compatibility mode if that doesn't work.  In Win7 you right click, properties, compatibility and then select what you want.  I'm guessing 8 is similar or the same.  I can upload an ISO of a good copy of Win7 ultimate if you or anyone else needs it as well.  I will not be going to 8 myself until I need to.

I updated my driver and ended up restarting my computer since I had it unplugged to rearrange my room. Now WC3 looks right and works fine. I'm still having problems with Diablo2 though.

Now it says this and it won't open: Unhandled Exception: (c0000005)

I don't know. =/

Remember, Diablo 2 is a game that released 13-14 years ago.  You might just not be able to run it on 8.  I know if I try to DL it from Blizzard and install it it won't work but for some reason if I install it via the CDs (no idea how I still have them all) it works in compatibility mode.  

And you should have restarted your computer regardless when you update drivers.  Hell, they should be restarted at least once a day.