Dysturbed87

Weird Idle, Now Stalls

I am attempting to figure out the issue on my girlfriends car. Its an 03 GT and I've got a 00 GT so I can pull parts from that to check if a certain part is the issue.

At first it would run, but the idle would bounce between 200-1800. Sometimes it would stall and other times it would be very very close to it (all lights appear on the dash like it had), but then it would rev back up to 1200-1800RPM. I never got video of it, but I found one on YouTube that his car is doing the same thing. http://youtu.be/czLoOKCG_wE

At first I was thinking it was the IAC, but all times I've seen an IAC go bad it starts and immediately stalls. The other reason I'm not thinking it is the IAC is because when you give it a little gas it is missing. I never got a code for any specific cylinder, but did get a P0316 (miss fire detected within the first 1000 RPMs). I pulled the plugs (motorcraft coppers) to see if there was an issue with them. They visually looked fine, I checked gap and it was within spec. I reinstalled them and now it won't stay running. It dies immediately after startup.

I did pull my IAC and put it on hers and that didn't make a difference. My IAC is vented though and am not sure if they are interchangeable. I will be pulling plugs again and rechecking the gap and connections of the COPs since the car won't run after I pulled them. I also have used set of COPs and will swap them all when checking the plugs. Below is a video of what it does now.

th_VID_20150426_203723_515_zpsnbssnpjo.j

Things I have done:

-Pulled plugs and checked gap

-Cleaned MAF

-Swapped IAC

-Disconnected battery

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No work was done prior to the weird idle. I pulled the plugs to check them for any issues, there weren't any, and after I put them back in it just stalls. I plan to pull them again to regap and replace the COPs with some others that I have.

JLT intake has been on for about 2 years. I am just lost as to where to start looking for a vacuum leak though

so the maf isn't reading the air coming into the motor correctly.  if you want try switching the maf out. but it sounds like you have unmetered air entering the intake.

I'll see if I can find a vacuum leak tonight.

Do you happen to know if a 02-06 crown vic/grand marquise/f150 MAF would work on the mustang. I know I can't use mine because the IAT is separate from the MAF. I know the pull a part has a bunch of crown vics/grand marquise/f150s there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

from the looks of it on rockauto, yea a lot of them are interchangeable.  take a pic of the MAF on her car and just cross reference it while your at the pick n pull

It is probably best to take it with me. I appreciate all the help.

I looked at rock auto to see what other models/years work with it, but realized their list was wrong when it listed it working on all 99-04 Mustangs.

Ok, well my retarded self left the PCV hose off after messing with the plugs. So now the car will stay on (mostly), but is back to acting like the first video I posted.

The below video is the my girlfriends car. It still sounds like there is a vacuum leak? I checked all the hoses and connections and cannot find any places that are cracked or not connected.

https://youtu.be/dxpOfx6fvKQ

Ha it's all good. We all make mistakes.

And wow that kinda sounds like the iac is blowing off after it nearly stalls. I would try an iac that's made for that car and give it a whirl.

Sent from my iPhablet

I wonder if the gasket for the iac isn't shot too

Sent from my iPhablet

I am at the parts store, so I will be getting a gasket and some throttle body cleaner. Hopefully that will hold it over until I can get a motorcraft one

I appreciate all the help

Cleaned the IAC. It stays running and idles at 480-500 RPM. With that a new IAC will be ordered. Anyone have a preference on brand? I know that Hitachi is an OEM, but I think there's is vented and the ones for 03-04 are non vented and I believe denso is the OEM, but I can't find their stuff anywhere. Thoughts on brands though?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I should mention that the IAC fixed the issue. I just had her buy a motorcraft from rock auto. Still have to go through and check for vacuum leaks since there might be one.