GearGambler

Springs and Control Arms

Not long ago, I upgraded the wheels on the 94GT convertible to the GT500s from AM.  As a result of going to a bigger wheel / tire the stance sat a little bit high.  I removed all the isolators and that corrected the stance.  The stock springs still remained in there.  

After loading the car up and heading down to Myrtle Beach, my concerns of the tire hitting the fender was realized.  This only happened in the back, but did manage to leave some marks / gouges on the tire.  It was nothing I could (or wanted to) fix in Myrtle Beach, almost 650 miles from my home (and air conditioned garage).  Time to upgrade!!!  

Springs:

I can't imagine what spring rate the stock springs are now after 239,000 miles.  They have to be exhausted.  Solution - Eibach pro kit with energy suspension spring isolators have been ordered.  They make a kit specifically for a convertible.  I'm thinking it will give the same ride height as the stock springs with no isolators.  We will see.  If I don't like how it sits, I can always put the stockers back in.   

Rear lower control arms:

A long time ago when I had my 90GT and this 94GT convertible, I upgraded the 90GT to a double adjustable UMI Performance lower control arm.  This helped center the rear wheel in the wheel well.  It was also spherical on the housing side and poly on the other, which helped with the street / strip theme of that car.  I removed the Hotchkins non adjustable LCAs and installed them in the 94GT along with some non adjustable BBK upper control arms which I picked up used for 50$ shipped.  I'm pretty sure I spent less than 100$ to buy those Hotchkins LCAs used at one time - but it was SO long ago I don't remember.  I dont have the 90GT anymore, so there are no more hand-me-down parts.  My plan is to pull those Hotchkins LCAs out and replace them with Maximum Motorsports sport series weight jacker LCAs (MMRLCA-102).  These are the ones with the poly bushings on both sides.  That will allow ride height adjustment when we overload the car for a road trip!  

Anyone have any experience with these?  

Not long ago, I upgraded the wheels on the 94GT convertible to the GT500s from AM. As a result of going to a bigger wheel / tire the stance sat a little bit high. I removed all the isolators and that corrected the stance. The stock springs still remained in there.

After loading the car up and heading down to Myrtle Beach, my concerns of the tire hitting the fender was realized. This only happened in the back, but did manage to leave some marks / gouges on the tire. It was nothing I could (or wanted to) fix in Myrtle Beach, almost 650 miles from my home (and air conditioned garage). Time to upgrade!!!

Springs:

I can't imagine what spring rate the stock springs are now after 239,000 miles. They have to be exhausted. Solution - Eibach pro kit with energy suspension spring isolators have been ordered. They make a kit specifically for a convertible. I'm thinking it will give the same ride height as the stock springs with no isolators. We will see. If I don't like how it sits, I can always put the stockers back in.

Rear lower control arms:

A long time ago when I had my 90GT and this 94GT convertible, I upgraded the 90GT to a double adjustable UMI Performance lower control arm. This helped center the rear wheel in the wheel well. It was also spherical on the housing side and poly on the other, which helped with the street / strip theme of that car. I removed the Hotchkins non adjustable LCAs and installed them in the 94GT along with some non adjustable BBK upper control arms which I picked up used for 50$ shipped. I'm pretty sure I spent less than 100$ to buy those Hotchkins LCAs used at one time - but it was SO long ago I don't remember. I dont have the 90GT anymore, so there are no more hand-me-down parts. My plan is to pull those Hotchkins LCAs out and replace them with Maximum Motorsports sport series weight jacker LCAs (MMRLCA-102). These are the ones with the poly bushings on both sides. That will allow ride height adjustment when we overload the car for a road trip!

Anyone have any experience with these?

I have the extreme duty ride hieght adjustable control arms and have nothing but good things to say. Easy install easy to raise/lower hieght. And very quite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say anything about the control arms or springs.  But have you rolled your rear fender lip?  If you haven't that will also help to keep the tire from getting cut if anything rubs again.

I have not rolled the lip.  I know that would help but since the car was repainted, and I know that there was some filler used on the drivers side - not sure if it is by the lip or not.  I'm REALLY hesitant to roll and risk cracking the nice new paint.

The eibach springs and isolators are here.  Just waiting on the MMRLCA-102 control arms - I wound up going with the poly on both sides, the "sport' control arms.  This car may never see the track and launching hard on street tires just blows the tires away.  

I have not rolled the lip. I know that would help but since the car was repainted, and I know that there was some filler used on the drivers side - not sure if it is by the lip or not. I'm REALLY hesitant to roll and risk cracking the nice new paint.

The eibach springs and isolators are here. Just waiting on the MMRLCA-102 control arms - I wound up going with the poly on both sides, the "sport' control arms. This car may never see the track and launching hard on street tires just blows the tires away.

the guys at mm advised me against the eibach springs because he said they were pretty soft and set me up with a set of h&r springs with a torque arm friends spring rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback!  I have gotten so used to the stock springs I dont know what to expect.  this isn't a track car (straight line or twisties).  I'm looking for something that will be a pleasure on the roads and compliment the Tokico HPs that are installed already.  Hopefully the pro kit is similar to stock even though they are progressive vs the stock being linear.  

Anyone have any pictures of their cars with the pro kit installed?  

springs and control arms are in!  I really think my car is twisted.  with the perches adjusted at the same height, the fender well in the rear is not the same height on both sides.  

Give it a few hundred miles to settle. My vert dropped a solid 1/2 inch after driving it for a couple of days and everything evened out. Just make sure the pigtails are all in the same direction. 

I have Steeda springs/control arms though not eibach. 

Give it a few hundred miles to settle. My vert dropped a solid 1/2 inch after driving it for a couple of days and everything evened out. Just make sure the pigtails are all in the same direction. 

I have Steeda springs/control arms though not eibach. 

Good thoughts!  I'll definitely give it some time to settle.  compared to stock 240k mile and 21 year old springs, the ride is MUCH better now.  Also, one of the stock front springs that came out was broken.  I'm sure that didn't help any handling at all..

for now I adjusted the weight jacker spring perches at the same height on both sides so that everything settles.  

Question - will it settle just sitting in the garage (gravity / weight of the car), or do the springs need to be moving / I need to drive the car?

I drove mine a lot after swapping springs/shocks/control arms etc because it was like a much improved new car. I guess it will still settle without driving but may take longer without all the weight transfer from driving.