OnyxCobra

Rear spring curiosity...

When I talked to MM about my front coilover setup I mentioned I had H&R SS springs for the rear and they said they wouldn't be stiff enough and recommended me switching to the H&R Race springs in the rear.

So natrually I decide to look up the H&R SS vs Race rear spring rates and to my surprise everywhere I look lists the SS springs as being stiffer in the rear than the race springs, so my questions are:

1. Is that really true and if not why does everywhere list otherwise?

2. If the SS rear springs are stiffer why would I want to switch to the Race springs?

Edited by OnyxCobra

I think you should try it either way. Technically, SS is slightly more progressive than R, which is not a good deal when you are pairing them with linear springs, but 5 lbs is pretty much negligible at this point. R does have higher ride height, which does make a difference on a 4 link car, not so much on a torque arm car. I've been told that the lower you go on 4 link, the faster it will bottom out, or bind up. Personally, I don't know if there is any truth to that, as I've never went lower than 1 inch in the back.

well I'd have to find a pair of rear race springs, not gonna buy the whole kit just for the rear.

as for ride height Idk how much that applies to me, I have the rear lowered down on the adjustable control arms anyways.

I think you should try it either way. Technically, SS is slightly more progressive than R, which is not a good deal when you are pairing them with linear springs, but 5 lbs is pretty much negligible at this point. R does have higher ride height, which does make a difference on a 4 link car, not so much on a torque arm car. I've been told that the lower you go on 4 link, the faster it will bottom out, or bind up. Personally, I don't know if there is any truth to that, as I've never went lower than 1 inch in the back.

Following through on this, keep in mind the SS spring is a shorter spring, which necessitates the stiffer rate. Sure the Ss Spring is stiffer but the Race spring is much better suited and smoother for on track conditions. Keep in mind that stiff doesn't always mean better.

I understand stiffer isn't always better but MM said my springs weren't stiff enough and to get the Race springs stead, which is a contradiction. If it would be worth it I don't mind looking for a pair of rear race springs for SRA and then I can sell my SS springs as a full set which I'd prefer to do. So is it worth the switch?