Younts_Autosport

Am I experiencing belt slip/making boost

Hey everyone. Thanks for sticking with me as I post a number of threads all intended to get my new Saleen ready for Mustang Week. This is the first supercharged car I've driven so I'm still fairly new to the world of boost and I'm trying my best to learn all the intricacies.

I am trying to figure out if I'm actually having any belt slip. As has been established previously, the car came to me with a smaller pulley (~2.6", stock is 3") and had never been tuned, ran lean on the dyno as a result. I don't know how to detect if the belt is slipping other than by looking at the boost gauge. My stock Saleen gauge works, although I don't know if that means it's accurate. I'm trying not to run 100% wide open throttle since the car needs tuning, but I don't know if that is necessary to actually see appropriate boost. In 1st I don't read any boost on my gauge, 2nd I don't really see anything either, 3rd I have read ~5 psi before but sometimes it appears as if it's stuck at about 3 psi (slip?), and in 4th I can usually see about 6 psi, maybe 7.

I'm a little more conservative in 1st gear but otherwise I've opened it up to near WOT, and I may have even hit WOT at some point in 3rd or 4th, I'm not sure yet. In 2nd I start to hear the supercharger but can't see any boost, don't know if that's normal. My lack of a ton of seat time in this car and my inexperience with boosted cars has me wondering on this. I originally planned to purchase the MoSaleen idler pulley but from what I gather that's mainly going to benefit me if the belt is slipping. I haven't seen any obvious signs of wear on my radiator hose, either.

What does any of this sound like to you, the experts? Your help is always appreciated!

I do think you are seeing some belt slip, but honestly the gauge sounds like it could not be functioning correctly, too.  If you have an air compressor available to you, I would unhook the vacuum line for the gauge from the source.  Set the regulator on your compressor to a given psi and shoot it into the vacuum line, then see what the gauge reads.

that's a really good idea for a test @Tabres.  never thought about that.  

i also think you may be having some belt slippage as well.  when your in 3rd or 4th and you have your foot into it, do you see a steady progression of boost?  do you feel the car dropping off in the higher RPMs like it's just falling off?  i realize there is always money to be a concern with but really there is no downside to getting the moSaleen idler setup.  

IMHO It's hard to tell if your getting any belt slip if you can't go WOT and try and produce good boost.

You will see slip on the gauge as the needle wandering on boost as rpm's rise (hits 8 drops to 7 climbs to 8, drops again, etc...) then even dropping to almost 0 if it's really bad.

Look for belt dust as well.

When are you getting a tune so you can safely go wide open?  Its going to be hard to tell without being able to hold the car at a high load.  Also I agree with Tabres that you should grab some shop air and check your gauge to make sure it is working properly... wouldn't be good on a non tuned car that runs lean for you to not be 100% confident what boost you're truly running.

Thanks, everybody. Good idea on using compressed air @Tabres, I'll try to do that. I'm planning to have the car tuned within the next month, before I take the car down to Mustang Week on July 11th. I'm leaning towards getting the MoSaleen idler since I'd rather buy it in case I'm having belt slip and have the car tuned as opposed to tuning the car and discovering there is belt slip and having to adjust the tune down the road for adding the idler. Cheap insurance, I guess. My hands are kinda tied with needing a tune before I can most accurately judge if I need the idler which I would then have to tune for lol, so it might be in my best interest to go ahead and buy the MoSaleen. Additional thoughts?

Thanks, everybody. Good idea on using compressed air @Tabres, I'll try to do that. I'm planning to have the car tuned within the next month, before I take the car down to Mustang Week on July 11th. I'm leaning towards getting the MoSaleen idler since I'd rather buy it in case I'm having belt slip and have the car tuned as opposed to tuning the car and discovering there is belt slip and having to adjust the tune down the road for adding the idler. Cheap insurance, I guess. My hands are kinda tied with needing a tune before I can most accurately judge if I need the idler which I would then have to tune for lol, so it might be in my best interest to go ahead and buy the MoSaleen. Additional thoughts?

buy it now.  it won't be money wasted.