Sleeperstang1994

Pros vs Cons of EGR removal

as stated i would like to hear your thoughts on pros and cons of removing the egr. Obviously we all know this is an emissions component intended to meet government smog regulations. removal in many locations is illegal. I would like to hear all thoughts. i would prefer if they were backed by some sort of "science"! not just " take it off cause everyone else did". Ill start

Pro - reduced air intake temps

Con - Poorer fuel economy

Only reason to even think of removing it is if it's malfunctioning. It doesn't affect WOT performance. I took mine off because it was either $50 to replace the broken piece or $5 for the exhaust cap. And if you tune it correctly the difference in MPG is negligable.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Edited by 01yellercobra

And free block off plate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I was going to mention it the second time around since I forgot about it the first time. :D

I deleted mine because my egr broke when I was doing my pi swap. Cons-- I dont have a programmer so my check engine light pops on sometimes but that could also be because I dont have cats either. Yeah the smog police can suck it.

You need to get it turned off in a tune. It'll run better as well.

the basis behind my question. obviously the engine bay will have a cleaner appearance. however i fell like when i removed the EGR from my 95 cobra engine it was all down hill from there as far as drive ability was concerned. Wild Willy Walker.... You have an egr valve with the EGR system turned off... your valve is basically extra weight lol

the basis behind my question. obviously the engine bay will have a cleaner appearance. however i fell like when i removed the EGR from my 95 cobra engine it was all down hill from there as far as drive ability was concerned. Wild Willy Walker.... You have an egr valve with the EGR system turned off... your valve is basically extra weight lol

You need a tune then. Mine still drives just fine and gets decent mileage for what it is.

It's pretty much useless, not really any advantage to it unless you get a tune that uses the EGR to save you gas on long trips. Without it, its hard to make gas saving tunes. I just think its an ugly system, so I nixxed that sucker.

It's pretty much useless, not really any advantage to it unless you get a tune that uses the EGR to save you gas on long trips. Without it, its hard to make gas saving tunes. I just think its an ugly system, so I nixxed that sucker.

I'd have to disagree with that. I think mine gets decent mileage. 21-22mpg on the freeway with A/C on and 14-15 around town. That's with 80lb injectors.

But with egr you could make it save even more. thats what Justin at VMP told me, and he's one of the best tuners out there. I'm sure he knows his stuff lol. Not saying yours isnt getting great mileage. Just noting that with EGR, it has the potential for 1 to 2 mpg better

But with egr you could make it save even more. thats what Justin at VMP told me, and he's one of the best tuners out there. I'm sure he knows his stuff lol. Not saying yours isnt getting great mileage. Just noting that with EGR, it has the potential for 1 to 2 mpg better

I just wanted to say that it's not like without EGR you're going to get crappy mileage. I had the EGR when I still had manifolds and mileage was about the same IIRC. But when I went to headers the EGR stopped working. I think my limiting factor at this point are the 80lb injectors. They can only work so well.

I like this post. I've always had the same thoughts about my EGR valve. But being in the auto repair industry I always talk about why it's so important to keep your EGR Valve. For starters the EGR has many functions I just doesn't sit there and look ugly and recirculate exhaust gasses. Did you know that it also helps lower your cylinder temperature. So it helps against detonation. And helps with cleaning the emissions coming out of your tail pipe. So knowing this kind of info you can think twice about removing it. Now I'm going to be up front with you mine is removed lol I know. I sound like a idiot talking about the pros of having it on your vehicle but I found that it you change your exhaust system, like headers and off road x pipes and with a good tune you make more HP.

I had a buddy tell me the other day that my exhaust on my 5.0 cobra sound very loose and that I don't have the correct amount of back pressure. I replied back wanna race lol bottom line is he was right and I should never take for granted a perfect amount of back pressure is important. Trial and error is something we will always have to face when dealing with performance and upgrading our vehicles. So to answer your question there is no answer I say try it see what happens and if you don't like it you can always put it back :)

Good luck bud I know my useless insane knowledge is pointless lol but I got you reading my post didn't I ?

i didnt want to turn this in to fuel mileage pro con lol. I work for ford so im well aware of the pros as far as emissions and driveability are concerned. i was looking for some concrete evidence i guess to say its better to remove. I feel like the general concensus is that the only real "pros" for removal are a less clutered apperance. EGT doesnt run at WOT so it really wont hurt performance. Im still on the fence, does anyone on the source do tuning? could we get insight from them possibly?

As far as removing it goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As others have so kindly pointed out, it doesn't affect WOT performance, so why remove it in the first place? If your car is just something that doesn't see hardly ANY street time and lots of track time, I can see removing it. I'll keep mine on, I feel with a good tune, I won't have an issue with it.

What I noticed was my car not running very well with the EGR turned on. It would buck and surge at low rpm. And I would constantly get the EGR code. I figured it had something to do with going to headers. Since with the stock manifold in place it has flow from all 4 cylinders. With the headers it only has flow from one cylinder. Finally I got tired of it and turned it off and the car ran 100 times better. I tried to talk to people that had switched to headers, but no one could help. So I finally deleted the components since I knew I wasn't going to fix it.

What I noticed was my car not running very well with the EGR turned on. It would buck and surge at low rpm. And I would constantly get the EGR code. I figured it had something to do with going to headers. Since with the stock manifold in place it has flow from all 4 cylinders. With the headers it only has flow from one cylinder. Finally I got tired of it and turned it off and the car ran 100 times better. I tried to talk to people that had switched to headers, but no one could help. So I finally deleted the components since I knew I wasn't going to fix it.

Ok now it makes sense. I have stock manifolds still so that is probably why I dont have any issues.

I don't think where it gets the exhaust from the headers would be a big deal. I thought I heard it was just a PIA to get it to run with out a CEL?

Not sure if this was a reply to my post. It was just a theory I had. It worked fine with stock manifolds. When I switched to headers to started throwing the code.

My EGR Broke i cut the tube, stuck a penny in the stock cap and screwed it down. Sometimes i even make my own block of plate so i can do the delete for $0.01. Just like when my cruise ctrl broke or my Evap can took a shit.

They are all parts that are easy to remove because there more trouble then they are worth...

No tune is needed when removing the EGR :)