Twista

Bad gas!!!!! Help

Ok guys i jynxed myself big time i guess. Today i put some gas in my car from Citgo. After i left the station the car started missing badly! I pulled over because i thought it was going to die while driving. I then drove it to another gas station and put 1.5 gallons of there 93 gas in my car and it ran like normal. The only problem is once that 1.5 gallons was burned off the car started missing again and putting while driving.

=[ So what should i do? I only got like 3 gallons of the bad gas in my car. Do i buy the HEET water remover and pour it on or do i fill the car up FULL with 93 Shells to dilute whatever is causing the car to run like crap and hope for the best?

If i have to drain to the tank how do i do that without dropping the tank.

The car barely idled @ all and when i turned the A/C on the car nearly died and sounded like it was camming with a very weak idle. This all went away once i added another station's 93 to the car....

thanks.

edit: Also, the car has a SWEET smell to the exhaust now that its never had. So i really think it was something in the fuel.

Im really thinking about letting it idle in the garage till its low and fill it up.

Edited by s4rge

Just fill it up with good quality 93. It's going to be hard to get those 3 gallons out without dropping the tank. Can't really recommend the use of fuel additives because I don't have any experience using them. This happened to my truck as well, I was running low and put in $20 of the ARCO cheap stuff and I started getting a tiny bit of spark knock and it wouldn't move up and go like before, so I just filled it up with some shell 91 and it went back to normal

one thing I have heard was that you should avoid filling up if you notice their tanker is there filling the gas station up. I was told that it stirs up all the crap that eventually collects in the bottom of the tank and get sucked up into your tank.

one thing I have heard was that you should avoid filling up if you notice their tanker is there filling the gas station up. I was told that it stirs up all the crap that eventually collects in the bottom of the tank and get sucked up into your tank.

I seen no tank, but for some reason the gas pumped very very SLOW.. like something was odd, but i been to stations before where it pumped really slow and had no problems with the car. The only reason i stopped @ Citgo because they have there own refinery in my city.

i only run sunoco 93 or bp 93. Never had an issue. You literally have the most off the wall problems with this car haha

=[ Really this one today beat me. I literally came home from work typed this thread and went to bed 1 minute after making it. Im super close to finding a 4v cobra donor and calling it a day with the 5.o motor.

Quick question......how exactly does your car chose to use the 93 good stuff over the cheap stuff already in the tank?

That's kinda like saying you mixed Pepsi and coke in the same glass and stopped drinking it once you finished the coke.

Gas (87, 89, 91, or 93 octane) will mix once you combine two octane levels. Example: get 2 gallons of 93 and two gallons of 87 and put them in the same tank, you now have four gallons of 90 octane gas.

Where you on empty when you put the citgo stuff in there?

Quick question......how exactly does your car chose to use the 93 good stuff over the cheap stuff already in the tank?

That's kinda like saying you mixed Pepsi and coke in the same glass and stopped drinking it once you finished the coke.

Gas (87, 89, 91, or 93 octane) will mix once you combine two octane levels. Example: get 2 gallons of 93 and two gallons of 87 and put them in the same tank, you now have four gallons of 90 octane gas.

Where you on empty when you put the citgo stuff in there?

yes i was pretty close to empty. Fuel filter is 1 week old.

Could it be that your fuel pump filter is bad/dirty? Or that the fuel level was so low the pump can't pick it up anymore?

Doubt it.. it doesn't explain the sweet smell though coming from my exhaust. I never had o/r h setup that didn't smell like raw fuel

Also...a sweet smell in the exhaust is usually your car running rich, in your case it sounds like a misfire, not so much spark knock.

After it started acting up from the citgo gas, you said you drove it to a gas station to get the 93, right? Did you let it sit/cool off before you drove it with the 93?

Also...a sweet smell in the exhaust is usually your car running rich, in your case it sounds like a misfire, not so much spark knock.

After it started acting up from the citgo gas, you said you drove it to a gas station to get the 93, right? Did you let it sit/cool off before you drove it with the 93?

No, not really. Just turned it off for maybe 4 minutes.. pumped the new 93 and started and it idled fine.

I have it idling in the garage currently. Going to let it run low then fill it up with Shells 93 and see how she behaves.

gotcha. sorry for the delay in replying, i was using tapatalk and my posts were coming in late. Anyways, just trying to rule out coincidences. i had my fuel pump go out on me once after i had messed around with the engine, unrelated but at the time it seemed related.

:black_eyed: Hope its not the fuel pump. Ill update the thread after she idles low and i refill her

So far so good. Took it for some WOT runs to burn the gas and its running better now. No missing and has power.

Going to contiune running the tank low then re-fill and drive.

Got the tow truck number ready if its something other than bad gas

sweet, at least it was an easy fix.

Yep and i found out if a pump is running VERY VERY VERY slow and your the only one there then that pump filter is clogged and needs to be changed. When its clogged your getting all the dirt and water the filter usually takes out right into your gas tank. So im pretty sure thats how i got bad gasoline

Another thing that happens is not actually bad gas, but you get the same issue. If you have a low tank for awhile and then fill, often times condensation can happen inside the tank, causing water to seperate and settle out. Your car will run rough b/c of that. Higher octane won't help, but many of the off the shelf 'water in gas' treatments will do the trick in about 5 or 10 mins worth of driving. I actually had that happen about a week ago to me.