kucklehead

Tfs or gt40 intake?

What's better? A TrickFlow track heat intake or a ported polished and gasket matched gt40 intake? I have a gt40 with all that done ready to go one the car but I see people selling the tfs intakes so I wasn't sure if it was worth it

Sent from a Bionic powerhouse

Edited by kucklehead

Lightning MAF is calibrated for 42's. But if you're getting a tune the MAF transfer will be calibrated for the injectors.

actually the LMAF isn't calibrated for any injector size, you will need a tune and some other small stuff to run it though.

You'll need a tune regardless with an aftermarket cam and the tuner can just tune the LMAF in.

As for the intake, send the lower out to tmoss (user tmoss on the corral, PM him) to get ported and bolt it on. Tmoss Cobra intakes flow 240-250 cfm, the upper does not need to be touched as it flows 250 cfm already which is right where the aftermarket 302 heads flow (165s, Twedges). A track heat on that combo will gain you little/no topend at all and lose you power down low. Tmoss ported Cobra/GT40/Exploder is THE best street intake for a 302/306 based engine and it isn't even close.

You'll need a tune regardless with an aftermarket cam and the tuner can just tune the LMAF in.

As for the intake, send the lower out to tmoss (user tmoss on the corral, PM him) to get ported and bolt it on. Tmoss Cobra intakes flow 240-250 cfm, the upper does not need to be touched as it flows 250 cfm already which is right where the aftermarket 302 heads flow (165s, Twedges). A track heat on that combo will gain you little/no topend at all and lose you power down low. Tmoss ported Cobra/GT40/Exploder is THE best street intake for a 302/306 based engine and it isn't even close.

This... But he says his is already ported :)

Thank you for posting this thread. I had been wondering something very similar. I am planning on staying stock longblock with boost and was wondering if it is worth getting everything ported (TB, Intake, Heads, etc).

My heads are also crazy ported. Its all done very well not to thin on walls but the look monster compared to stock. Also with bigger valves. 1.92 i believe is the biggest i have in it. I know its 1.9 something. Im so ready to put them on!!!

Bionic at 20lbs of boost

Watch out for PTV clearance issues with P heads and any valve bigger than the stock valves on a stock rotating assembly. I was in the same boat as you and the valves didn't clear the pistons after I clayed it with the correct length pushrods and a solid checking lifter. I had 1.92 intake valves in mine and a custom cam that wasn't all that aggressive either. Did you shave any material off the heads or no?

I dunno after my experience with the P heads I consider porting any GT40s a waste of money unless you can get them COMPLETELY done for $600 or less to your door. At the $700 mark good used aluminums start to turn up and you aren't maxed out already with the heads. I'm not trying to disparage your build at all, but it really does remind me of what I did and if I had it all to do over again I would have got the GT40s I had cleaned up with new springs/seals/guides/valvejob, left the stock Cobra intake alone, left the stock cam in there and thrown a S trim on there. The same or less money for MORE power (125whp+ more) going that route with stock driveability, stock gas mileage etc... I mean you already have all the stuff and hopefully your porter did a really good job. If your porter DID do a good job and you don't have any PTV issues you should be good for 300+whp. Still less than a S trimmed stock E7 longblock tho, which is why I always recommend a supercharger for a stock longblock vs a HCI.

Edited by scottydsntknow

I payed well under 600 for mine i have like 400 in them. Im good friends with the guys that did them so i got a deal and no i didnt have them decked. There was no need the shop checked and they where flat so no milling on the deck

And a stock long block with and s trim is good but my combo with an s trim wpuld be better and more hp. Right? Yeah you can go for a sc right off the bat but later on you still want a hci or atleast heads to improve flow and power.

Thanks for the idea though and my car has some miles on it idk if it will handle FI.

Bionic at 20lbs of boost

Edited by kucklehead