M4Mustang

Anderson Motorsports PMS

I have been wanting to purchase the Anderson Motorsports B31 camshaft, but I have heard that the main problem witht the factory ECU and a big cam is that the factory ECU is too smart and causes issues for everyday driving and tuning.

Now, there is a guy on Corral who is selling an Anderson Motorsports PMS for about half the price of a new one, but what I to know if there is anyone here who has dealt with one of those PMS's and if so, was it difficult to tune?

From what I have been told, a big-cam/race-cam will make your car run like shit on the street, the car will have no power at low RPMs.

Again, its just what I have been told.

When you are swapping out cams you have to look at the design operating range of the cam. Generally ig lobed cams that are rated to make a butt tonne of power do so at very high RPMS. Because they have larger cam lobes the Lobe Seperation Angle(LSA) will be more narrow than stock. A narrow LSA cam will not produce very much vacuum at low RPM, this is what causes lopey engine sound at idle. Basically the engine is having a problem running at idle because it is experiencing low vacuum.

A computer controlled vehicle will try to compensate for the low vacuum, poor idle condition by adjusting timing and fuel. A good computer tuner can compensate for some of this in the computer tune.

A big lobe cam is going to make killer power at higher RPM levels and is happy running at higher screaming RPMs all day long, but it doesn't make for a good street cam.

I would suspect that is the reason the person is selling the cam, yeah it is cool having a street car making 500 or 600 HP, but the suck trying to drive them every day, especially if you are in traffic.

I would suggest you talk to Luis Ortiz, Ortiz Performance, he is a sponsor on here and comes highly recommended by many, and see what his take is on this cam and its driveability and tunability.

Matt

first off let me say gratz on the PMS very good buy indeed. the issues you might have with a stock computer and just burning a simple chip for it should be all worked out when using a PMS since it has much more adjustability to set idle conditions and partial throttle settings. At the end of the day its gonna all be in the tune mostly.

Knuckles4696

I am more curious to know about tuning with the Anderson Motorsports PMS.

Also, the cam is really not that big, considering that roller cams are a lot more forgiving than a solid cams.

I have had big cams that made excellent power below 5800 RPMs, then again, that was in a Chevy motor with a carb.

And I am not looking to make 500-600 hp on just a cam alone, Ford motors are not that easy to make high HP numbers. I would be happy to make at least 300 RWHP and then add a 125-shot of nitrous.

Only experience I have is I know a couple guys that use it. Both are happy with it. One of them was making adjustments on it between pulls at the last dyno day I went to. Personally I would get it just to have the ability to tune the car myself.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

So, I have been researching more into this Anderson PMS and it seems to be the easiest to install and operate. Also, I have decided to not buy a used one, because I have this thing about buying used electronics of any kind. Hope to post more about this soon.

Nice yea. I got my pms new for my fox because I'm similar to you with electronics. I've had 6 msd digital 6 box's fail new from the factory. I don't even want to get started on my msd rant even know I still run there crap... The pms is a great system you'll love it once you figure it all out. Won't be disappointed