kucklehead

T5.......??

Technically they're rated at something like 300ft/lbs of torque... I'm sure they can last with power above that if you're not abusive towards em and don't dead hook on the dragstrip, but I'm not very confident in them. As far as options for upgrades, you can get G-Force or Astro performance to upgrade the T-5 up to 5-600 ft/lbs I think. There's also TKO's and T-56 swaps. I'll let someone with more knowledge on those to chime in.

I'd love to see pics of that joekd! As far as a stock t5, i've head of people holding 400ish with them but similar to a shortblock over 450, its a ticking timebomb and just depends on how you drive it. TKO swaps are relatively easy to do and a great upgrade over a t-5. Plus there's the luxury of going with a tko600, one extra cruising great and 6-speeds are baller!

Your other option is to rebuild the T5 with a G-Force or Astro Performance kit. Makes it a lot stronger, I considered that route but then just found a decent deal on a built Tremec 3550 and went that direction. I doubt I'll ever outgrow this Tremec, I'd have to make more than 850rwtq to find its limits lol.

It's kind of hit or miss. Some of them last a long time, some give up on a stock car. I think it has more to do with how hard you beat on them, and if you run them with slicks or not. You can build a T5 to be as strong as a 3550 series but it means putting straight cut gears in it, and most people don't like the constant whine of the straight cut gears. The bottom line is that the T5 has a small gear case, and there just isn't room for big gears. Getting a T56 or a Magnum T56 in there almost always ends up costing $4K no matter how you slice it. It's a really expensive swap. If you go to a 3550 series with a turbo, at least go for the 26 spline input shaft. The 28 spline output shaft seems to hold up ok, so that is not as important. If you get a good deal on one with a 31 spline output shaft, that of course doesn't hurt either. The 3550 series comes with brass blocker rings which shift a little slower than the the composite ones in the T5 which is something to consider. Composite blocker rings for the 3550 series will run $75 for 2,3, and 4th. It's still expensive though. Some people just keep a handful of T5s around, and just keep swapping them out and fixing them as necessary.

Kurt