Slykin

T-5's should all die in hell.

As the title says...I dropped my clutch/transmission today, initially going to just replace the clutch. Well, it looks like the transmission's going to need a rebuild. This video shows just how much play is in the input shaft. FML. I haven't decided whether to rebuild it myself with 400-500hp parts or just do an OE rebuild. If I do a Astro rebuild i'll probably have to use up my little amount of savings.(Broke college kid) Feel free to give your opinions.

th_DSC_0411_zpsb39b38a0.jpg

If you're going to do it, do it right the firs time. I know it's a little more expensive but you might as well do it now instead of later.

I say go for the Astro build. I know I want one myself. Good luck on whatever direction you go bud. (unless it's a certain swap I've seen you talk about... haha... creepin)

Well, bit of a derp moment lol. I figured out the side to side motion of the input shaft is normal, and as long as there is no in-and-out play i'm good. I can't tell, so i'm going to keep using it. I did pull off the tailshaft and inspection cover though... looks cool haha. I can tell that the gears/blocker rings/synchro's are getting old, but whatever. Now hopefully I can get it back together.

I don't even drive mine hard lol.. I JUST found out in my white car that what I thought was WOT was more like 80% because of my crappy broken power seat(not adjusted properly, and stuck there). My old vert whined when I got it. My white car has a faint whine to it, but has gotten louder with the gradual death of the clutch. The clutch hasn't been fully disengaging due to the lack of adjustment left in the stock quadrant. It's just had a hard life. After pulling open the T5 the other day, I can see that the blocker rings and synchro's are getting pretty worn(though they don't grind yet). The gears also appear to have somewhat of a wear pattern on them that's probably causing the whine. I'm just gonna run it till it explodes and put an A-5 kit in it though.

Eh, depends I guess. A-5 gearsets cost somewhere around $1400 if you rebuild it yourself.. Plus a couple hundred more for the seals/synchros and whatnot. If you buy it new it's $2400, but that way you know it's built right lol. The thing is, a T-56 is probably not much more than a already build A5, plus you get the extra gear. I'm not sure what TKO500's cost.. but whatever. I think for me, an A5 is best, because I want to build it myself, and they're lighter than the other transmissions. I think if you're buying already built, it's basically a toss up.

With an A5 though, it all fits in maybe with the exception of needing a clutch with more splines and possibly a different transmission yoke(for splines).

I believe the A5 requires a different clutch and driveshaft yolk because the input and output shafts are 28 instead of 26 spline or something along those lines. The thing is though, if you are upgrading to a high HP transmission, you probably need a new clutch anyways. The bellhousing/shifter/trans mount are obviously all the same though.

Standard input and output is 10 and 28. Upgrade is 26 and 31. Put the transmission in gear and turn the input shaft over with your fingers. If you feel it click or bind up at all when you turn it, then you have a broken gear. If it turns fine and shifts fine and doesn't make any noise, then you are good.

Kurt

With a T56 you have to change everything out anyways. I figure if I get an A5 it'll bolt up and use my existing drive train parts since it's still a T5. Maybe I'm wrong.

^This. No reason to get a T-56 ever unless you absolutely HAVE to have that .50 6th gear (and that is not found in the Termi T-56 or the ones in the current crop of 5.0s either). I've heard positive and negative things about Astro builds but have no personal experience with them myself. Just be aware that the T-5 case DOES limit the size/strength of what can go in it. TKOs are notchy and heavy but oh man are they beefy as all hell. T-56 is heavy and ridiculously expensive to install and no benefit other than a super high overdrive. I was going to do the same basic thing to the t45 in my 98, have it built to take 600whp and call it a day. Then I decided to swap to automatic.

G-Force sells a new case design that is much stronger for anyone who is dedicated to running a T5. FYI

468-GFT5072.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/p/G-Force-Transmissions/G-Force-T5-Transmission-Case-Upgrade/1343712/10002/-1

That is badass. Bigger gears in a T-5 dimension trans. Great for guys with 94/95 cars that don't get adapter crossmembers for the TKOs and such. Will weigh a little more but not what a TKO or T-56 does.