Tony

A/C delete??

i am blowing up this forum with questions, i know haha! sorry bout that.

does anyone know of a write up or any kind of link to doing this to a 96-98 gt? the things i havent figured out are belt sizes and pulleys. i seen something where you can just buy a pulley from advanced auto or AM.

yes i know having A/C is great in the summer but i never even use it really, lol. top stays down all summer. anyone here done this? any pics of the a/c delete after? thanks fellas :)

correct

Just make sure the pulley in the delete is the same size as the AC compressor pulley. I got a upr smog pump delete pulley and it happened to be just a smidge smaller than the actually pulley so I had to go and buy a shorter length belt by about 2"

ok, so all i have to do is remove the lines attached to the firewall that go in to the dash, and get a the a/c delete pulley (the exact same size as the original) and take off the compressor. then put belt back on in the same pattern as it was. simple as that?

Yesssire, pull off your compressor, the lines, the condenser, remove any wires from it to save some weight ;] and get the delete pulley to keep the same belt as before!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-19216B/96-10-Mustang-46L-2V-Or-4V-Air-Conditioner-A-C-Delete-Eliminator-Pulley

what you need is a 6 rib V6 tensioner pulley, and a 6 rib 70.5" long belt. Remove the ac compressor, and 2 idler pulleys. Then remove the tensioner and swap out the pulleys. The tensioner will have a smooth pulley and you want the ribbed one to be on there. The pulley will bottom out on the tensioner so you will either have to put a small washer behind it or make a little clearance on the tensioner itself. Next, make sure the belt is around the tensioner before you bolt it on and then route your belt. Now, instead of the tensioner pushing in on the belt for tension, its pulling out on the belt to keep tension. You will also notice a little better throttle response going this route.

Heres a pic of the new belt routing

Beltrouting.jpg