Det_Riot

Steering Racks Questions!

What does anyone know about flaming river power steering racks? I know they do a phenomenal job with manual racks but has anyone ran or know anyone who runs a power steering rack? I need to replace mine but have an opportunity to get a new one for right around 300 and figured it might be worth it to upgrade it since I gotta pull it out anyways. Are they worth the extra coin over a remanned one or a terminator one?

Thanks guys!

From what reading i've done, they are better, but the fitment isn't perfect as far as the hardlines go. Whether or not they are worth 300+, I don't know. I don't remember that much haha. What I DO remember, is that the main reason our steering is so vague is our pumps.. They don't pump a consistent volume/pressure/whatever as you turn the wheel. This causes your PS fluid to overheat too. But, if you you just want a better rack, I'd personally go for it. Search on Corner Carvers for it, as i'm pretty sure it's been discussed before to great lengths. Just don't ask questions on there.

Lets put this back up to the top, is it really that difficult/annoying to drive a manual rack'd sn95? I mean all last year I drove it with an empty pump so basically manual and it wasn't terrible. I'd think that with the proper set up it should drive even better?

Anybody have experience with a dedicated manual rack?

I know a couple guys that went manual and have since gone back to a power setup (one bought my old rack - I have an 03 cobra rack now), for someone who mostly takes their car to the track they are just fine but these guys do a lot of street driving and they said it was just not for them. Parking lots and slow speeds are where people start to hate it. Also, a lot of cars that spend a lot of time at the track have skinnies up front which are easier to turn than the 8"-9.5" wide wheels most people run on the street.

Are you saying you can get a Flaming River Power rack for $300? That's a hell of a deal, I'd go for it. Aren't they $600+ new?

I know a couple guys that went manual and have since gone back to a power setup (one bought my old rack - I have an 03 cobra rack now), for someone who mostly takes their car to the track they are just fine but these guys do a lot of street driving and they said it was just not for them. Parking lots and slow speeds are where people start to hate it. Also, a lot of cars that spend a lot of time at the track have skinnies up front which are easier to turn than the 8"-9.5" wide wheels most people run on the street.

Are you saying you can get a Flaming River Power rack for $300? That's a hell of a deal, I'd go for it. Aren't they $600+ new?

Yah well was about to then the guy sold it like 20 minutes before i sent money. Then found a manual rack and shaft but wasnt sure how it was compared to power