kucklehead

Irs OR Sra??? Great debate

I bought an 01irs for my car (not installed yet) but i have been hearing lately that you can get more or better grip out of a beefed up sra than out of the irs. Even in the corners. Because i bought mine for road course and auto cross. Whats your input on the matter. I want to hear both sides. And who knows. I may end up having an irs for sale after this haha.

Bionic at 20lbs of boost

I would highly suggest upgrading to the FTBR bushing kit for the IRS. Once that's done the IRS can take more of a beating. I went with a built SRA because I already had all the parts from when I was going upgrade the Bullitt rear end. Otherwise I would have gone IRS.

Most old school logic will say SRA for drag racing and IRS for corner carving but both can be setup for either. I plan on taking my Cobra to some corner carving events and it will hold it's own.

I like both personally... the SRA is definitely a more solid and less complicated system than an IRS. But, with the IRS it's going to ride better, and probably feel better. As far as track times go though, I think the SRA's kinda hard to beat. The biggest problem with it being bumpy roads kinda screw it up.

So, really ya know, it's a toss up. An SRA beating IRS is going to be quite a bit more expensive than an SRA, or at least i'm assuming. I'm sticking with an SRA because it's cheap, and pretty freakin simple. If I had money and time to blow i'd go with an IRS though.

On a street car for 'comfort' I'd suggest the IRS. It's a good upgrade if you aren't going all out and want a nicer ride.

The major downside to Ford's IRS (in the Cobra) is that they designed it to bolt up where a SRA already was placed. It created weak points in controlling motion.

On a road course car, a 5 link (like Steeda, Griggs or MM) will take you further in the long run for keeping your rear end where it needs to be into and out of the corners. Full Tilt Boogie took the IRS a long way, but when you want to go all out (to me and many 'racers'), the 5 link is the better path to follow. If I get to a point where I step away from the Roush suspension on the '98, I'm going with a double A arm front and 5 link rear.

You can adjust the camber on the IRS. There's a camber bolt in the upper control arm.

Not really an apples to apples comparison, but I think my IRS rides better then our 06 with the SRA. Something to think about is there aren't too many bumps on a smooth race course.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

I have had a mild SRA in my car then a FTBR fully done up IRS and now back to a built SRA. The IRS was great and carved corners like no other mustang, I have owned atleast. But after some wheel hop issues spinning through 2nd on the street I was turned off. And a later trip to the dragstrip it wouldn't hook up at all for me untill 3rd.So thats why I removed it.I care more about strength and straight line fun so it was not for me.

But if you put enough money and knowledge into the SRA im sure you can make it hang with the best of them around the twisties.