Slykin

Rough Idle in Cold Weather

As the title states, my car is having idle issues now that the weather's cold. It doesn't necessarily want to die or anything, but it sounds really crappy until it idles for a couple minutes. It's been fine in the heat etc, just not with this below 40 crap. After the first run in the morning, it'll be fine for the rest of the day. Stock 5.0 with headers, and smog/egr removed. Any thoughts on this?

Clean idle air control valve, and make sure your IAT sensor isn't set oddly in your intake( hanging too low/ high or partially in.. Colder the more timing bits going to either created or advance depending on flow and total engine temp

Sent from my iPhone

I too would love a solid explaination, however I do know that after I deleted my EGR, I always had initial startup issues in low temperatures. Once I properly deleted it in my tune (testing by making no other changes) the problem magically went away.

I say magic because people who dont understand the root cause of something, and have no scientific proof.... can sometimes get away with it. (like religion)

What I can conclusively prove though, is that you should put it back on.

Dumb question; Isn't the whole idear of deleting the EGR to get better fuel mileage and longer engine life as well as alittle gain in power? ..or is that with a tune?

I searched around for it and one part says the EGR system: "helps keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions"

And the other part says: "Deleting the EGR system helps keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions"

And some say "EGR delete is worth 0 hp" and some say it gives a few HP.

If part one is correct; then what is the point of deleting it? ..other than to clean up the engine bay...obviously.

Dumb question; Isn't the whole idear of deleting the EGR to get better fuel mileage and longer engine life as well as alittle gain in power? ..or is that with a tune?

I searched around for it and one part says the EGR system: "helps keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions"

And the other part says: "Deleting the EGR system helps keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions"

If part one is correct; then what is the point of deleting it? ..other than to clean up the engine bay...obviously.

Cleaning up the engine bay, freeing up horsepower when the pump seizes up and your motor is working on spinning that aswell. The only advantage comes when you actually delete it in the tune

Cleaning up the engine bay, freeing up horsepower when the pump seizes up and your motor is working on spinning that aswell. The only advantage comes when you actually delete it in the tune

What does the delete + tune actually do then? 52f2be.gif

Deleting the EGR costs your MPG, it doesnt GIVE you any HP, and you actually INCREASE cylinder temps.

The #1 reason to delete the EGR is to make the engine bay pretty.

I am however pretty sure that some of you are confusing the thermactor air pump system and the EGR.