I know someone has to have done it but I can't find any solid write ups or information =[ I'm going to be picking up a black center console and dying/painting it using this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/interior-dye-1979-1993/p/DYE51/ from CJPP. My question is for the people who have painted their center console, what do I need to do as far as prep work? Do I need an adhesion promoter? Can I get away without a clear coat? If not what clear coat should I use?

Thanks errrryone in advance =]

No problem man. I was going to take pictures of the process too. :)
Don't forget any product that you buy from us that doesn't have a write up you have a chance to get back up to $250 for doing one for us to upload to our site.

Submit Mustang Installation Instructions - CJ Pony Parts

^dam steve! das wassup dude, lol.

@detroit. i scrubbed my back seats with scotchbrite pads and soapy water. rubbed on some alcohol. wiped it down and sprayed simple vinyl and fabric paint. i'm sure the stuff cjpony sells is better but as for prep. that's all i did and it's been a year still looks perfect. that's even on a seat.

When I did my seats I lightly sanded them, then sprayed the dye using preval sprayers (my dye wasn't in an aerosol can) and used foam brushes for seams or if I saw drips starting

My dye came with an adhesion promoter you mixed in before applying the dye

Important part is to make a ton of light coats, do not apply thick or you will end up with ugly drips

^dam steve! das wassup dude, lol.

@detroit. i scrubbed my back seats with scotchbrite pads and soapy water. rubbed on some alcohol. wiped it down and sprayed simple vinyl and fabric paint. i'm sure the stuff cjpony sells is better but as for prep. that's all i did and it's been a year still looks perfect. that's even on a seat.

:drinktothat: what up tony!

The only dye job that I have ever done was on the center console on my old '70 1/2 Camaro. I used a rattle can made for interior use, but it was not the best stuff out there and it eventually flaked off.

i already have the 98 console installed, its just a lighter grey than the rest of my 95 Black/Grey interior. I havnt found a dye that matches the 95's grey exactly....closest I've found is for a 95 Lightning. sorry if you said something similar brian, its late and i need to go to bed lol

i already have the 98 console installed, its just a lighter grey than the rest of my 95 Black/Grey interior. I havnt found a dye that matches the 95's grey exactly....closest I've found is for a 95 Lightning. sorry if you said something similar brian, its late and i need to go to bed lol

Oh no, I didn't realize you already had the console (dur I shoulda known that, lol). If you haven't talked to Steve@CJPP I would do that first. I'm sure he can find what you're looking for.

The dyes and lacquer that I bought were from CJPP and were listed as opal grey for the foxbodies. The guys at CJPP said that this would be the same grey as the 94=95 so we'll see! I'm actually gong to be painting and stuff today so you'll definitely be able to see what it looks like first =D