Slykin

Poly Control Arm Bushing Questions

Hey guys.. since I've decided to basically replace everything in the front end of my car, I was wondering if I should throw in some poly control arm bushings while i'm at it. My only concern is that they are going to be noisy and squeek 24/7. I don't mind a bit more NVH, but squeeking is not acceptable for a DD in my book. Anyone have some experience with these?

And no, i'm not concerned about the install. I have the tools, time, and patience.

IIRC I've been told running them in the front is fine and doesn't have a lot of issues with noise but running them in the rear is where the problems come into play.

I am going off of memory of a conversation I had a long time ago but I believe that's what I was told. I'll see if I can find the PMs from another forum and verify.

Although I'm sure one of the guys will step in and correct me if I am wrong.

Are we talking front or rear control arms?

if we're talking front, you'll actually want poly. The less flexing the geometry has up front the better since both arms are independent of each other. If you use polyurethane or Delrin in the rear you're asking for trouble if you want the car to turn. The arms will bind since the stock 4 link suspension needs some flex to work efficiently. With a stiff bushing in the rear you will induce snap oversteer which is a uncontrollable and unpredictable binding of the rear control arms due to lateral movement.

As for noise, you shouldn't have any squeaking... you'll pick up some NVH since its stiffer though. The only things that will squeak is the other suspension components that you haven't changed.

Edited by iRoush

So what are you suppose to use in the rear then??

Depends on what your goal is for the car. I have solid bushings on my uppers and standard rubber on the lowers still until I get around to putting some new lower arms on it. they make more noise and are a rougher ride but solid heim joints is an option as well.

Are we talking front or rear control arms?

if we're talking front, you'll actually want poly. The less flexing the geometry has up front the better since both arms are independent of each other. If you use polyurethane or Delrin in the rear you're asking for trouble if you want the car to turn. The arms will bind since the stock 4 link suspension needs some flex to work efficiently. With a stiff bushing in the rear you will induce snap oversteer which is a uncontrollable and unpredictable binding of the rear control arms due to lateral movement.

As for noise, you shouldn't have any squeaking... you'll pick up some NVH since its stiffer though. The only things that will squeak is the other suspension components that you haven't changed.

Definitely the front. I'm aware of what works better performance wise, i'm just not sure about the squeaking issue. I've looked up the problem on Corral etc and there are multiple complaints of squeaking front control arm bushings if you go with poly. I don't mind the NVH like I said, I just can't tolerate squeaking.

I've also heard there's differences if you replace just the rubber with poly and reuse the old bushing shell, or if you replace the whole thing including the shell. Supposedly if you replace the whole thing including the shell it shouldn't have as much chance of squeaking. I'd rather not remove the shell...

Do you run poly in yours?

Definitely the front. I'm aware of what works better performance wise, i'm just not sure about the squeaking issue. I've looked up the problem on Corral etc and there are multiple complaints of squeaking front control arm bushings if you go with poly. I don't mind the NVH like I said, I just can't tolerate squeaking.

I've also heard there's differences if you replace just the rubber with poly and reuse the old bushing shell, or if you replace the whole thing including the shell. Supposedly if you replace the whole thing including the shell it shouldn't have as much chance of squeaking. I'd rather not remove the shell...

Do you run poly in yours?

As of right now I'm running stock bushings. I'm having a custom k-member built by AJE though, it will be full poly aside from Delrin a-arm bushings.

Edited by iRoush

As of right now I'm running stock bushings. I'm having a custom k-member built by AJE though, it will be full poly.

Hmm... I might just stick with the stock ones for now. I plan on switching to a tubular k-member in the future and will switch to delrin then. I don't think the chance of squeaking is worth it right now... I just thought that heck, for $40 it probably helps the feel quite a bit.

I have poly bushings on my front and rear control arms with no noise. I think it's just the rear upper arms that you're supposed to keep rubber in, idk if you were talking about upper or lower control arms in the rear.

On the front control arms the bushings have outer metal sleeves. With MM poly bushings you leave the sleeves in the arm and just replace the rubber and inner bushing. On some bushing kits though, you remove the outer sleeve also. Supposedly this is better for prevention of squeaking.

hmm, not familiar with that. I got tubular control arms and they came with their own bushings.... you press each half in and then slide a metal tube down through the middle of them.

You shouldnt hear any noise. Just make sure to use allll of the grease they give you.

I have poly bushings all the way around my car except the 2 bushings that connect the upper rear control arms to the diff. as you want that to still be able to flex just a tad