Tony

My top is CRAP!

Last winter i had what i thought was a cloth top installed at a very cheap price. $800, lol. Well after only one solid year it is showing wear like crazy. cant see it any pics really unless i focus a shot just on the shitty spots.

The top is a 2 piece with a panel for the back window. that panel has always been 2 shades darker than the rest of the top. always bugged me and had me wondering, but no biggy i guess.

A couple days ago i put the topp down in the storage unit to do some interior shit. yesterday i put it back up and what used to be a wrinkle is now a fuukin tare!

the person that did my top does boat interiors for a living and convertible tops on the side. average price for a top in quality cloth i haave found is $1,600-$1,800. quality vinyl is $1,000-$1,200. I paid $800 :( and good luck finding this fuukin guy and getting shit back. I still need a new fn top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks brian. i think i wanna do the cloth top (the real cloth top), lol. just lookin back over last summer i loved being able to drop the top when ever i wanted to. i have seen termis with the cloth top and it is fn nice! deep and rich black. that's what i was going for in the beginning. just never came out that way.

• Moderators

I had a *VERY* similar situation happen to me where I got the top less the rear window replaced for $500 and a year later it started leaking again. Then I had the top and glass replaced for about $1,600 year before last. It's well worth the money to find a good upholstery shop to take care of it correctly.

I used to talk to a local detailer who was really big into convertible tops and he showed me a video of him pouring water from a water bottle onto the top of his BMW and it didn't soak in at all. All beads. Then he could blow air on the water and it would just roll off.

I need to take my wifes car to a detailer to have the convertible top treated now that I think of it.

• Moderators
You should definitely (if you don't plan to yourself) take it to a professional detailer and let them protect the top with some quality products.

Griot's Garage sells a kit that comes with convertible top cleaner, a brush, and the fabirc protectant. I clean and protect every couple of months because the car just sits in the driveway. Water beads up on the top like the rest of the body would (assuming it even had any clearcoat and wax left).

^i like the vinyl doesnt absorb water ans stuff either... stuff just beads off of it
honestly after seeing this top on my car..my old top looked like electrical tape compared to this thing. i like waaaay better than the vinyl.