Schiffy

Front Coilovers,rear springs

So for the time being, after I install the front Coilovers, I'm going to pull the rear springs out and cut them. I know some people will hate the idea, and some will be ok with it. All i'm asking is, should I cut a half, 3/4 or full coil off the back? I plan to get some specific springs for the rear, just don't have the spare change right now to do it. Anyways, I'll start with a half then test fit it up and go from there, but wondered if anyone else had done this before and how much you ended up cutting off, to maybe save me some time.

I'm on cut springs. Start with a half and see how you like it. If you want a little more, then cut a little more off

This. just make sure you cut the dead part of the coil and don't cut off too much! Also when cutting it make sure to keep spraying either water or wd-40 to cool down the spring, heat it too much and it will mess with the spring rates.

I'm on cut springs. Start with a half and see how you like it. If you want a little more, then cut a little more off

This was the plan, just wasn't sure if anybody recommended cutting a specific amount. Sounds good, thanks. you to iRoush, thanks.

My car is rear springs with coils in the front. In total i think i took out 1 coil from my prokit but definitely just go half a coil, put it back, wash rinse repeat

the rears are'nt bad as far as cutting..testing..putting back in. the fronts however, lol. pita to have to keep swapping and cutting and installing.

how low ya tryin to go bro?

yeah like tony said the rear springs are cake compared to the front. since that's the case you're better off starting with half and going with more if you want to. and yeah make sure you cut from the top.

the rears are'nt bad as far as cutting..testing..putting back in. the fronts however, lol. pita to have to keep swapping and cutting and installing.

how low ya tryin to go bro?

Not sure... I will know how low when I see it. lol

FWIW, If you are dropping the car for looks, but building a suspension for drag racing... you are wrong. PERIOD.

Stock V8 springs with one whole coil cut off sets the rear end to a good height for a stock rear suspension style as far as your geometries are concerned for anti-squat and instant center. If you were planning to drag race the car only, I would strongly suggest a set of lakewood 90/10's and 150lb 14" front coilover springs. Since you plan to DD the car, I would suggest the following setup.

Strange 10 way shocks and struts

UPR front coilover kit (REQUIRES A 4-BOLT CAMBER/CASTER PLATE SET) 14" 175lb/in

Stock V8 rear springs with 1 coil cut

Baseline Suspensions Street Launch Upper control arm set

Baseline Suspensions single adjustable or Team Z double adjustable lowers

Since you plan to DD the car, I would suggest the following setup.

Strange 10 way shocks and struts

UPR front coilover kit (REQUIRES A 4-BOLT CAMBER/CASTER PLATE SET) 14" 175lb/in

Stock V8 rear springs with 1 coil cut

Baseline Suspensions Street Launch Upper control arm set

Baseline Suspensions single adjustable or Team Z double adjustable lowers

This is the EXACT setup I planned to go with. The only question mark, was how much to cut off the rear spring.

carefully re-read my post and the answer will appear.

No, I gotcha... I was saying BEFORE your post I was gonna chop a half a coil, then reinstall sit down inspect and decide whether to go chop more off or leave it, but your post is definitely helpful.