Det_Riot

Locking header bolts vs wire locking header bolts

Pros and cons of each? I'm talking about the typical kind of locking boots with the two piece clips versus the bolts with a hole through then and then you have the spin the wire together and over the header..

Anyone run either set up? I'm having a helluva time getting my headed bolts to stay in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use regular ones, with Solid copper gaskets, and just wrench the fuck outta them. Lockwire will only keep them on the car, it's not really gonna keep them tight, it's not designed for that. Red locktite would work, as a cheap solution. The stage 8 locking ones work the best, but kinda $$.

yah i have these right now:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-100-1202/?rtype=10

and they wont stop backing out. I've red loctited them and have cranked on them! i'm nervous that i'm gonna strip out one of the holes and then really be effed!

I'm probably going to get some stage 8's... I just replaced a gasket because a couple header bolts fell out. Low and behold, a couple weeks later another bolt has fallen out >.>

Edit: Anyone know if you're supposed to get 1" or 3/4"?

Edited by Slykin

I'm probably going to get some stage 8's... I just replaced a gasket because a couple header bolts fell out. Low and behold, a couple weeks later another bolt has fallen out >.>

Edit: Anyone know if you're supposed to get 1" or 3/4"?

Take out your old one and measure it lol

I have the Stage 8 lockers, they are quality. Kind of a pain to install/remove but not as bad as always losing/tightening your damn header bolts.

This is great news! How right do you gotta crank em down with the aluminum heads

I tightened them as good as I could with the size wrench and limited access I had. I forget what size i got but I could go look for the package quick. I found that some i had to loosen slightly to get the locker on there which I didn't like, but as far as I know it seems alright.

I have the Stage 8 D clip style ones, and haven't had a problem. I put the same style Stage 8 D clip ones on a friend's Cobra with the same headers, and they back out on cylinders 7 and 8. I have no earthly explanation as to how it's even possible, but it happens. I recommend getting the finger clip Stage 8 bolts.

Kurt

I used blue locktite on my header bolts and they been snug for over 1 year. I've lost header bolts because they would loosen up while driving over a span of days.

Throw some blue locktite on there and it should be fine.

Also, locktite shouldn't work on header bolts because its melts @ high temperatures, but its been holding tight for me with no problems. Dont ask me why.

Use blue and not RED.

Also, make sure your header gasket is good. A blown or bad header gasket will cause the bolts to loosen up also.

I had one side that loosen up. Changed the header gasket and hasn't loosed up in ages. (not the side with the blue lock tite)