copmagnet

My mach 1 caught on fire...help...

yupp..fire. like roast marshmellows fire. I'm balling my face out and i really cannot stop.

I roll up to a red light and notice smoke billowing out of my shaker. I think no way i blew a coolant line. so i roll into a gas station and pop the hood, as i open the hood smoke pours out, and i see the glowing yellow on the left side of my motor, i run inside to get a fire extinguisher and of course they dont have one. freaking out i run back outside and see the flame has already died down and is just smoldering.

my long tubes were touching one of my A/c lines (the one with a fire blanket around it) and set the fire blanket on fire, as well as punctured the line. I now have no A/c, no way to replace that line (i dont even know the part #) and a dirty, sooty engine.

right now the duty NCO is watching my car to make sure it doesn't flame back up.

anybody now the part number for that coolant line and what i can do to prevent it from doing the same thing again? how hard is it to replace that line? it looks like it runs from the firewall all the way to the radiator shroud. i'll take some photos tomorrow...im going to go cry myself to sleep.

Fuck man that's crazy! Glad to see that you're alright though. Cars can be fixed, people can't always........

If you can't find the part number check out the cars being parted out on svtp

sorry to hear it man, rest easy though. a lot of times when you get a fire under the hood people need a new car, not just a few new lines. it sucks but it could have been a whole lot worse. now this makes me want to get a fire extinguisher for my car even more.

i already got an extinguisher. its retarded a gas station didnt have one.

no, my headers are not wrapped. i thought about wrapping them too late.

fire wasnt huge. small flames. like lighting a piece of paper on fire.

What is the point of a fire blanket then?

anyway, at least it was not worse than that, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Morten,Not a fire blanket wrapped around a refrigerant line, It is just insulation to cut down on the heat soak into the refrigeration line. Extra heat soak into the refrigerant lines is the enemy of efficient refrigeration.

CopMagnet, your best bet is to wrap the headers, It is the best way to reduce underhood temps

matt

That is the high side line. unfortunately the factory replacement will run the exact same route. You can try putting some header wrap around the new refrigerant line, The header wrap will be more heat resistant.you might also try putting some spark plug wire heat shielding around the line also. Most of the auto parts stores have those on the performance isle

matt

maaan i just threw that line out in the garbage last week i would have just mailed it to u . it comes off where the plastic cap is[tan cap towards firewal] let me see if i can get you the part number

- - - Updated - - -

ok it's the Orfice tube TEM 200957 or if you need the entire line TEM 282954 from napa

Edited by kennyGT

Ita surprising they didn't have a fire extinguisher

The D3V

Yeah, that shit is ridiculous... I thought they were required to have them... In fact, don't most places have them mounted outside on the poles holding up their awnings and what not?

Sent from my secretary!!!

Yeah, that shit is ridiculous... I thought they were required to have them... In fact, don't most places have them mounted outside on the poles holding up their awnings and what not?

Sent from my secretary!!!

Yeah id report them

The D3V

I'm not sure, mine looks different. mine is a hard line pretty much the whole way but has a little like insulation blanket around 6 or 7 inches of it right were it sits on top of my long tubes. whatever line it is runs from the firewall to the radiator and as it runs fire wall it drops down and runs under everything else right over my headers.

I tried to google photos, but i cannot find any photos that look like it.

this is what you need i believe. Don't mind the bottom end, I went hulk and ripped it out of the firewall :look:. the end that you need that connects to the firewall part is fine, you can see the black disconnect on the bottom

IMG_4333.jpg

I may need to go take a look tomorrow when i get off duty just to be 100% positive. where is this black disconnect you speak of? right at the end of the rubber tube where it meets the hard tubing?

I may need to go take a look tomorrow when i get off duty just to be 100% positive. where is this black disconnect you speak of? right at the end of the rubber tube where it meets the hard tubing?

look towards to the bottom of the picture. it's the oval object.