OnyxCobra

Let's play the transmission noise game...

Just installed:

Used '04 Cobra T56 with Texas Drivetrain Performance stage 2 build, 26 spline input, billet bearing retainer, etc.

New FRPP steel flywheel (with dowels)

New CF Dual Friction Clutch kit

Reused my good Timken TOB

Used the clutch fork that came with it (pretty much identical to stock)

and the result (pretend your name is Keith when you watch):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B98kZiMYiB_KcFJXUDZWRmdfSTg/edit?usp=sharing

WTF is that noise when you let the clutch out in gear?

sounds like clutch chatter and a worn trans mount? Do you also have the correct amount of fluid in the trans, for your idle noise? (im sure you do, but just asking :) )

what is a leigh shaft?

sounds like clutch chatter and a worn trans mount? Do you also have the correct amount of fluid in the trans, for your idle noise? (im sure you do, but just asking :) )

def a bit of clutch chatter, the fluid is topped off for sure. signs are pointing towards a busted pilot bearing, should find out this weekend.

well if you knew what it was why did you ask! :untroubled:

well i wasn't asking about installing air bags or whoring new pics of my car so nobody responded for 2 days...

neutral noise sounds identical to my magnum. The other noise sounds gear related to me

good to know. I would lean towards gears or bearings but once the car is rolling it's shifts and drives beautifully.

It doesn't grind at all going into any gear, it's just letting the clutch out from a slow roll or stopped. At first I thought it was an input shaft bearing but if that was the case wouldn't it make the noise all the time?

Have you tried a second gear start?

no but i did start in 3rd gear once by accident. I'm pretty sure it did the same sort of thing but I honestly can't remember 100%, i was trying to figure out why it felt so sluggish.

It doesn't grind at all going into any gear, it's just letting the clutch out from a slow roll or stopped. At first I thought it was an input shaft bearing but if that was the case wouldn't it make the noise all the time?

I wouldn't worry too much about the input shaft bearing noise (in neutral, clutch engaged) unless it seems to be getting worse. I still think the noise you are more concerned about is the clutch. Unless it seems to be getting worse, I would try to ignore it or maybe try a different clutch. I had a CF clutch in another mustang and really liked it but I also have a buddy who put a CF clutch in his cobra and hated it so much he didn't enjoy driving the car. It chattered horribly and just didn't feel right or sound right. He eventually got sick of it after only 1k miles or so and installed a twin disc.