D3vst8r96gt

Request: wiring 101

It scares the crap out of me. But I need to learn! Mechanically I'm great, wiring not even close.

Can we do a mustang specific write up with diagrams, basic vocab words, tools, gauges of wiring, rules guidelines, type of connectors, Etc

By the end of it I'd like to be able to:

Wire up a gauge pod

Install a kill switch (ignition area)

Install ignition on component with or w/o a manual switch

(mmr post a gauge install awhile ago)

I can rebuild a motor but electricity scares me and seen too many cars with shitty wiring jobs and it will ruin a car ......

Edited by D3vst8r96gt

See now I am exactly the opposite. I am not that great mechanically but after 15+ yrs installing audio/security wires do not scare me at all. The starter kill is not a big deal as long as you understand how relays work. I could start there with a small tutorial on them, maybe even make a quick vid if I can't find one. Not sure what you mean by an ignition component, like an MSD or something?

See now I am exactly the opposite. I am not that great mechanically but after 15+ yrs installing audio/security wires do not scare me at all. The starter kill is not a big deal as long as you understand how relays work. I could start there with a small tutorial on them, maybe even make a quick vid if I can't find one. Not sure what you mean by an ignition component, like an MSD or something?

Relays do what?

Ignition on as in when I turn the key on its gets power

Or

I turn the key on and if I want to I can hit switch to turn on let's say a fan

The only thing I can do is jump my solenoid on my old fords hahaha beyond that electrical issues are seen fixed at a shop

I think he means like how racecars have switches for like water pump, fan, power to ignition, fuel pump switch, etc etc

Yes, fan and inter cooler pump are on my list of things. I wanna have the inter cooler pump circulating coolant and the fan on when the key is turned and I flip a switch to turn them on. In my head it's easier that way, just always turn the switches on when I run the car

A relay is an electronic switch. If you break it down to its basics there are two parts, the electro-magnet that is used to pull the switch closed/open, and the switch. They are often used to take a low-voltage/current(amperage) into a high-voltage/current output similar to how your starter solenoid works or to switch something from a switchable ground to a switchable +12v. Connecting ignition componants is as easy as finding a wire that has 0v on it with the key off, and shows 12v with the key on and connecting a wire too it. If you want to be able to have a switch to turn that component on/off all you need to do is cut the wire you just installed, and now connect 2 of the probable 3 pins on the back of the switch. One interesting point we can start on is the type of ground/power/ignition wires you might find in your car. There are actually 2 types of ignition wires that not many people know. There is an ignition wire, and then there is what is called a "true" ignition wire. The difference is that a true ignition wire will keep power on the wire while the engine is cranking. This is used to power things like the fuel pump, the ECU and other essential items that need power while starting but not things like your radio/climate controls to conserve power for the essential items.