Psychorugby

Clearance GT rear brake bracket for Cobra rotors

• Moderators

Is there a how-to floating around somewhere for this? I've read a bunch of threads about the holes in the bracket need to be elongated in order to fit the larger rotors, but can't find any measurements. As well, I know the GT calipers *may* have to be clearanced for the wider rotor as well. Not that it's a big deal... just trying to save $220 haha.

the calipers themselves are the same i believe. Its the brackets that are different. Not sure there is a way to modify them. The northracecars brackets will work, and I dont think you will need to get new calipers. Double check that though.

I would think that any 'elongated / clearance' may fatigue the stock brackets making them weaker.

• Moderators
the calipers themselves are the same i believe. Its the brackets that are different. Not sure there is a way to modify them. The northracecars brackets will work, and I dont think you will need to get new calipers. Double check that though.

I would think that any 'elongated / clearance' may fatigue the stock brackets making them weaker.

Do I just need the brackets, or do I need the anti-moans and dust shields as well? I'd love to get away with as little as possible, but am fully prepared to buy the whole FRPP kit.

just doing some readin on some other forums.. might answer a couple of the smaller questions.

You can use the GT/V6t bracket, but you'll need to grind the slot the rotor passes through slightly wider and use the Cobra pads.

The difference between the Cobra bracket and GT/V6 bracket is the extra support brace, and the slot for the rotor being wider.

The GT and Cobra calipers are the same. The brackets are longer to accomodate the increased diameter of the rotors and the pads are thinner on the Cobras and Mach 1s since the rotors are thicker. I just went through this on my 03. You will also need the anti-moan brackets and backing plates from a Cobra or Mach1.

The calipers are the same. The mount brackets (the thing that the brake pad fits into) are different for the large rotor. Cobra brake pads are thinner than the GT pads. Actually all the rear brake calipers are the same.94-2004 Mustang V6,GT,or Cobra. The GT and V6 have the same rear brakes with a solid rotor. The Cobra has a vented rotor.

Like I said, just get the right brackets. The grinding might work to make room for the bigger rotor, but the offset to accommodate the larger diameter rotor will be the real challenge. Maybe someone should start making an adapter bracket instead of the new brackets!

and when it comes to the brake pads, you can take them to a belt sander to remove material until they fit (we've done it). Just make sure you have some dial calipers to make sure you remove the same amount of material on all of them so that they wear evenly.

• Moderators
Like I said, just get the right brackets. The grinding might work to make room for the bigger rotor, but the offset to accommodate the larger diameter rotor will be the real challenge. Maybe someone should start making an adapter bracket instead of the new brackets!

and when it comes to the brake pads, you can take them to a belt sander to remove material until they fit (we've done it). Just make sure you have some dial calipers to make sure you remove the same amount of material on all of them so that they wear evenly.

Already have new rotors and pads, so no need to grind pads. I planned to buy the FRPP kit that has the brackets, anti-moans, dust shields, and rotors. The crappy part is either trying to sell the FRPP rotors or scrapping them since I have new ones ready to go. I'm always looking for a cheaper way out though since I have to get a lot of this by my wife. The more I can save on little stuff, the more stuff I can get or the less the big purchases will hurt... especially paint.

you can sell those rotors on eBay. they will fit in a flat rate USPS box so shipping wont kill you. I'd take you up on them, but I use the cross drilled / slotted rotors.

you may be able to source the anti moan brackets and dust shields from rock auto, or even a junkyard. keep the rotors, get the northracecars brackets?

I totally hear you about minimizing cost!

• Moderators
you can sell those rotors on eBay. they will fit in a flat rate USPS box so shipping wont kill you. I'd take you up on them, but I use the cross drilled / slotted rotors.

you may be able to source the anti moan brackets and dust shields from rock auto, or even a junkyard. keep the rotors, get the northracecars brackets?

I totally hear you about minimizing cost!

As much stuff as I have purchased from Rock Auto, I never even considered that!

You should see my spreadsheet of costs. So far, I have a complete suspension system (I consider sway bars, SFC, roll bar, and torque boxes as chassis stiffening) and almost complete brake system for $3500.

EDIT:

Just checked Rock Auto. No luck.

Edited by Psychorugby