Schiffy

drive gear after rear gear install

so i got the rearend installed with the 4.10's and now i need the gear to correct my speedo. i think i found the one i need on CJ pony parts [MENTION=1]Bullitt[/MENTION] but i want to make sure. i have a '98 with the stock Transmission, [MENTION=9]SniveTroll[/MENTION] told me the one in the Cobra T45 i took the rearend out of is not the right one, so i need to buy one. is this the one i need, and if so, do we get a forum discount? :D

http://www.cjponyparts.com/speedometer-driven-gear-type-3-23-tooth-automatic-and-manual-transmission/p/HW1290/

If it's the same as T5's, then yes. I think that you actually need the 7 tooth drive gear though..

[TABLE=width: 65%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 37%, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]Rear end ratio / Speedometer drive[/TD]

[TD=width: 32%, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]

Seven (7) tooth drive

[/TD]

Eight (8) tooth drive

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 37%]

[/TD]

[TD=width: 32%]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]

n/a

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]

n/a

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Those speedo gears aren't very accurate to begin with past like 3.55s. I have the exact one you posted in my car and the speedometer is still off by alot.

If I were you I would get the speedo calibrator and be done with it.

The little box? If this is mechanical, how does the box work?

i second using the speed calibrator. when i changed out the gear for my 4.10's it actually chewed it up after like 5k miles. i cant remember which one i bought but i remember buying the correct one for sure. The speed cal has 3 different dials on it, so you can fine tune the speedo after gears install, or changing out tires.

btw the gear you install onto the speed sensor is mechanical, but it is converted into an electronic signal that is sent via wire to the computer, so you just tap into that wire when you install the speedcal and it receives the signal from the speed sensor, converts it to the settings you have in the box, and then sends the new signal to the computer

$(KGrHqEOKpYE6b8I4MOtBPg47)4Ovg~~60_35.JPG

The little box? If this is mechanical, how does the box work?

I honestly do not know exactly how it works but this seems right for the most part:

btw the gear you install onto the speed sensor is mechanical, but it is converted into an electronic signal that is sent via wire to the computer, so you just tap into that wire when you install the speedcal and it receives the signal from the speed sensor, converts it to the settings you have in the box, and then sends the new signal to the computer

In the end it all boils down to whether you want your speedometer to read accurately or if you just dont care. With higher gears, the speedcal is pretty much the only way to actually get it to read relatively accurately.

For me, I really just don't care. My speedo reads 90mph on the freeway which I learned is actually when i'm doing 70-75. I know when i'm speeding and I know when i'm going too slow. Just gotta follow the flow of traffic. :smile:

the speedcal intercepts the signal from the speed sensor (the one that @blackimage posted) multiplies it by a ratio that you will set (depending on your gears and tire setup), and spits it back at the computer.

i second using the speed calibrator. when i changed out the gear for my 4.10's it actually chewed it up after like 5k miles. i cant remember which one i bought but i remember buying the correct one for sure. The speed cal has 3 different dials on it, so you can fine tune the speedo after gears install, or changing out tires.

$(KGrHqEOKpYE6b8I4MOtBPg47)4Ovg~~60_35.JPG

Guess I'll throw the plastic gear in there for now(cheap temp fix) and ill get the speedcal once money is available, thanks for the help! You to [MENTION=4]Ferocious[/MENTION]

I don't mess with those I just leave it my car was originally auto then 5spd on 20'S with 3.73 gears and its hardly out , I didn't really pay attention to how accurate it was this weekend

If it's the same as T5's, then yes. I think that you actually need the 7 tooth drive gear though..

[TABLE=width: 65%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 37%, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, align: center]Rear end ratio / Speedometer drive[/TD]

Seven (7) tooth drive

[/TD]

Eight (8) tooth drive

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TD]

[/TD]