Tony

the best seam filler that wont crack later??

theres a seam about 1/8" deep along the roof of every 82-93 s10. i've tried filling it in the past only to have it start to crack later. sucks when ya have perfect paint then this happens.

the seam:

DSCF8123.jpg

anyone know of a filler that will sit in there and stay, lol? that wont crack later down the road?

As he said you could just do a bunch of tach-welds to build it up a bit and then grind it down. When smoothing the spoiler/license plate frame recently I was surprised how nice the panel bonding adhesive worked to fill the small gap between the spoiler/deck lid on the bottem outside edges. Taped the area around the seem, filled it, dabbed it smooth with my finger and then pulled the tape off. I have also been using rage to smooth out some gaps.

As he said you could just do a bunch of tach-welds to build it up a bit and then grind it down. When smoothing the spoiler/license plate frame recently I was surprised how nice the panel bonding adhesive worked to fill the small gap between the spoiler/deck lid on the bottem outside edges. Taped the area around the seem, filled it, dabbed it smooth with my finger and then pulled the tape off. I have also been using rage to smooth out some gaps.

did you use that panel bonding adhesive from SEM i posted on the other forum scott? just wondering how good that stuff works out.

I had already ordered the 3m stuff but I am willing to bet its the same crap with a different label. The gun and the bottles/tips looked identical. It was super easy to use and I have not tested it by pulling the stuff off, pretty sure it will be sticking for some time. As I said above I filled the seem between the spoiler/lid on the bottom edges. With the dark adhesive on dark paint, after just a finger-dab to smooth it out I have no intention of sanding or anything. Doesn't look like it shrank at all... You could probably use the adhesive on your grill as well. I think I got the gun for $26 but if its cheaper I would be willing to ship it out as long as you ship it back when your done.

did you use that panel bonding adhesive from SEM i posted on the other forum scott? just wondering how good that stuff works out.

we use this black panel bond in the body shop at work. this stuff is amazing. be careful though it dries solid in about 90 seconds!

Do you squirt it through the tip that has all the baffles that mixes it?

yeah the tip mixes the two different adhesives together and causes some sort of chemical reaction that i dont understand. we have special "caulk" guns that press evenly on both sides of the tube at once. i wouldnt want to mix it by hand because its really sticky and dries super quick. plus you need alot of tips cause once it dries... that tip is junk

we use this black panel bond in the body shop at work. this stuff is amazing. be careful though it dries solid in about 90 seconds!
good stuff huh? i've been told i could actually use it to shave handles rather then tack weld the filler plates...just use that panel adhesive and apply pressure. better then a weld. what i was told anyway. wonder how true??

the Black panel bond is just as good as welding IMO i have stuck all sorts of stuff together with that. once its dried its on. plus its sandable so that would be a plus. i use it in he shop as my "whoops" ive glued alot of things with it. alot of times it seems stronger! ask [MENTION=10]WildWillyWalker[/MENTION] how i like to break stuff...

the Black panel bond is just as good as welding IMO i have stuck all sorts of stuff together with that. once its dried its on. plus its sandable so that would be a plus. i use it in he shop as my "whoops" ive glued alot of things with it. alot of times it seems stronger! ask @WildWillyWalker how i like to break stuff...

I just know WE like to break mirrors LOL! Always have spare plastic weld. ;)

the Black panel bond is just as good as welding IMO i have stuck all sorts of stuff together with that. once its dried its on. plus its sandable so that would be a plus. i use it in he shop as my "whoops" ive glued alot of things with it. alot of times it seems stronger! ask @WildWillyWalker how i like to break stuff...

are we talking about the same stuff?

this is the stuff i was told about:

31riqz1-P6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

if not can i get the name or a link to the stuff you're talking about?

you will need the gun as well. Iooked at all the auto parts stores in my town for it and most had no idea what PBA was. The best pep boys came up with was a small model-glue sized bottle of plastic trim adhestive.... egay my good mang egay.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the same add I bought. They shipped it from ohio I think it was, got it 2 days after I ordered it so you might be able to pick it up, dunno. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=251340747154 Willing to bet the SEM stuff is the same honestly and its cheaper http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsem+panel+bonding+adhesive&_nkw=sem+panel+bonding+adhesive&_sacat=0&_from=R40

on mine and the sem yes you need the gun, glue and the tips. Tips are a one time use which is why I got the one I did. I had planned on doing 3 different pieces on different days so I needed extra tips. In the end I thought I used a fairly good amount on the license plate frame, 3rd tail light and spoiler but was surprised that I think I am only about half way done with it.

We use the 3m that Ttocs has in that picture. Way better! Actually glued an intake back together last night...
ok cool. i may try to use that to shave maybe a tailgate handle first to see how it works out.