Psychorugby

1966 Emberglo GT

• Moderators

Anyone know how to find actual production numbers of certain cars? I know this car is somewhat rare as I've seen in several places that less than 10% of all Mustangs made from 65-66 were painted Medium Emberglo Metallic... and about the same percentage of Mustangs were GTs. I have a true 1966 GT (289 4bbl A code) with every option available at the time other than the HiPo (289 4bbl K code) motor and back-up lights.

I started watching CJPP (@Steve@CJPP) videos yesterday when I saw their 65 fastback was for sale. One of the videos had a 66 Emberglow non-GT that they said was pretty rare. Now my wheels are turning as to how rare mine is exactly.

I already want to correct some of the "mistakes of my youth" with this car - taking off the cowl induction hood, cutting the roll bar out, rebuilding the 4 speed trans and taking out the T56, rebuilding the 8in rear and taking out the 9in, finding wheels that fit the rear properly, re-chroming, etc. I intend to leave the Shelby front apron on it, do the Shelby A-Arm mod, and leaving the rest of the suspension lowered. I might have to re-cam it to get the brakes to work right.

The big question is... should I go all the way back to stock??

Edited by Psychorugby

Well from what I found on the net doing a quick search is that Ford doesn't even know how many were produced as they chucked the records from 66 back. I did see this even though there isn't a lot of activity or any at all you might want to reach out to this guy and see how his database is coming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emberglo-Mustang-Registry/157273761034507

good luck man.

• Moderators
Well from what I found on the net doing a quick search is that Ford doesn't even know how many were produced as they chucked the records from 66 back. I did see this even though there isn't a lot of activity or any at all you might want to reach out to this guy and see how his database is coming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emberglo-Mustang-Registry/157273761034507

good luck man.

Wow, thanks Steve! It's not like I'll ever sell it or anything as it is something my dad and I did together for a few years when I was in high school (we never really finished it). This is also the car that started the obsession with Mustangs and cars in general.

Consider this my re-build thread! I want to take it back to a little more original while still having some modern touches. As always, suggestions are greatly welcomed!

• Moderators
I forgot Marti Reports don't go back to 1966.

Ahhh. That's kinda why Bill in the video sparked my curiosity as he said it was a rare car. I didn't know if there was a quantifier.

If you have the build sheet claiming it's an original Emberglo you should be good to go, from what I have seen only 10% of the cars built in 66 were that color from my understanding. I don't know how accurate that is but it's worth looking into anywhere you can.

• Moderators

Sadly, we didn't find the build sheet when we pulled out the carpet and rear seats. In the end, it may be "rare," but it won't be worth anything... especially since I won't sell it. I guess I was just looking for bragging rights. It does make me want to go back to a more stock look.

I'd still like to have some modernization though. I already have a new radio with 6 disc changer (would rather convert this to iPod adapter somehow) and 8 speakers, but once I take out the T56 I won't have much else in the modernization department. I like the idea of converting all the lights to LED (the CJPP video I was watching yesterday haha).

• Moderators
we found the build sheet to our orange car behind the radio. :highfive:

I had that thing down to a shell. Nothing. Not sure why it wasn't there. It was a two owner car before me and had never been redone in anyway. There was an 8-track player in it, so maybe that is where the build sheet got lost.

• Moderators
you still have the data plate?

Yup, still on the door. Just no build sheet. It's an original GT, 289 4bbl, dual exhaust, disc brake, pony interior car. The motor had been worked over a little bit when I got it. It's bored .060 over now, rebuilt, cammed, Edelbrock highrise intake, etc. Supposed to have been rebuilt to K-code specs with a little more power (back when I knew even less than I do now about cars). It doesn't make enough vacuum to run the power brakes now haha.

• Moderators
post up the tag when you get time i would like to decode it.

When I get her out of storage in the next week or so! Just so I am clear, you're looking for the plate on the door right? If only we had digital cameras back when we started the rebuild... I know I have a picture of the plate in hard copy.

• Moderators

You'll get a picture as soon as I can dig it out. I can almost remember all of the tag... except the axle code. I know it's a 3.25:1 8" and has a 4 speed (whichever one is stupid expensive and hard to find). We'll see how good my memory is in a week or so:

6F07A702997

63B V 64 ??G(I think) 33(I think - It's an original AZ car) 4(I think) 5(Borg Warner T10 I think)

DSO code you gave is for Detroit, but I am not seeing anything for AZ.

[TABLE=width: 60%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%][TABLE=width: 70%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%]District Sales Offices (see note below)[TABLE=width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Boston[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]11[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Kansas City[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]53[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Buffalo[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]12[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Omaha[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]54[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]New York[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]13[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]St. Louis[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]55[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Pittsburgh[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]14[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Dallas[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]61[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Newark[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]15[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Houston[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]62[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Atlanta[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]21[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Memphis[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]63[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Charlotte[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]22[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]New Orleans[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]64[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Philadelphia[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]23[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Oklahoma City[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]65[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Jacksonville[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]24[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Los Angeles[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]71[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Richmond[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]25[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]San Jose[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]72[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Washington, DC[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]26[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Salt Lake City[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]73[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Cincinnati[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]31[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Seattle[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]74[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147, align: left]Cleveland[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]32[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Ford of Canada[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]81[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Detroit[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]33[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Government[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]83[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Indianapolis[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]34[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Home Office Reserve[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]84[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Lansing[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]35[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]American Red Cross[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]85[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Louisville[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]36[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Transportation Services[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]89[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Chicago[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]41[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Export[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]90 - 99[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Fargo[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]42[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Central Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Rockford[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]43[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Eastern Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Twin Cities[/TD]

[TD=width: 44]44[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Atlantic Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Davenport[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]45[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Midwest Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Denver[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]51[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Western Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 147]Des Moines[/TD]

[TD=width: 44, align: left]52[/TD]

[TD=width: 168]Canada Pacific Region[/TD]

[TD=width: 63, align: right]B7[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here is what I came up with based on the information you gave me.

DGsw21t.png

• Moderators

That's what I remember anyway. I will get you the real plate next week some time. I remember de-coding it 15 years ago when I got it and it being made in Dearborn. I can't remember the DSO, nor did I see a Phoenix code when I looked it up. I wish I knew what I did with my picture albums now.

I cannot wait to clean up the underside of the 95 and install the suspension, brakes, and rear end so I can focus on the 66. The 66 just needs some interior love, engine pulled and painted up nice, aluminum and chrome polished then it's presentable and I can work on replacing stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Further research shows me that 75 would be the code for Phoenix but that did happen in 67.

Body is 65B, not 63B. I'm really curious on the DSO now. It was later in the 66 model year, so they may have started shipping to Phoenix by then.

• Moderators

Got any ideas for modernizing it without going total restomod/pro touring haha? I think first thing after I place a fuel tank and lines order with you is going to be some interior fixes and then LED fog lights, parking lights, and tail lights.

• Moderators
Well we will get it all squared away once you get the picture of the data plate. Can't wait to see your work on it.

We got the majority of the storage unit unpacked Sunday, so I might be able to get to the door plate this week.