wmfateam

AutoX Tire Recommendations

Doing my first autocross on the 17th, and looking for suggestions on a solid tire choice. I am going with some buddies and they are rocking a turbo SC300 (On Michelin PSS), BMW 335 ( On Michelin PSS), G37 (Hankook V12) and a 2012 WRX (On Continental DW's). They are super annoying when it comes to cars, and I hear mustangs suck on a daily basis. I have been tire searching for weeks now and just can't come to a decision. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Are you looking for dedicated auto-x tires or something you can still drive in the street with? That will play a large role in what compound to go with. I'm sure [MENTION=6]iRoush[/MENTION] has plenty to say!

in the garage currently but the autocross street tire of the year is the BFG Rival followed by the Dunlop z2's. if you're looking for a pure racing slick the best is of course the hoosier a6.

Edited by iRoush

I used bfg kdws and they did very well. I was pulling small rocks out of the front tires that were stuck in from the tire being sticky

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everytime I read post I always smirk when people don't put their full intentions when posting questions like this. It will be street driven once maybe twice a week so slicks are out of my equation. The BFG Rivals are getting great reviews from the NASA AZ guys, and at $144 a pop with a $50 rebate, they have been front runners.

Everytime I read post I always smirk when people don't put their full intentions when posting questions like this. It will be street driven once maybe twice a week so slicks are out of my equation. The BFG Rivals are getting great reviews from the NASA AZ guys, and at $144 a pop with a $50 rebate, they have been front runners.

sounds like you have your tire. but question is, what size are you going to go for? obviously the wider the tire the better off you'll be. Depending on rim size here's what I'd recommend:

9" wheel - 265/35/18 or 275/35/18

9.5" wheel - 275/35/18 or 285/30/18

10" wheel - 285/30/18 or 295/30/18

10.5" wheel - 295/30/18 or 305/30/18

11" Wheel - 315/30/18 or 335/30/18

11.5"-12" wheel - 335/30/18 or 345/30/18

I used to be a fan of the 275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615K, but if driven on the street they will heat cycle pretty quickly and turn purpl'ish on the outer edges and start to lose grip quickly. Those were the last set I did any real competition on. I've heard good news on the Rivals. So if the sizing fits then take a look there. My car much preferred the square setup to it's staggered setup now.

sounds like you have your tire. but question is, what size are you going to go for? obviously the wider the tire the better off you'll be. Depending on rim size here's what I'd recommend:

9" wheel - 265/35/18 or 275/35/18

9.5" wheel - 275/35/18 or 285/30/18

10" wheel - 285/30/18 or 295/30/18

10.5" wheel - 295/30/18 or 305/30/18

11" Wheel - 315/30/18 or 335/30/18

11.5"-12" wheel - 335/30/18 or 345/30/18

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the 275 Rival for the 9.5 GT500 rim or 245 Rival for the stock 17x8's.

I used to be a fan of the 275/40-17 Falken Azenis RT-615K, but if driven on the street they will heat cycle pretty quickly and turn purpl'ish on the outer edges and start to lose grip quickly. Those were the last set I did any real competition on. I've heard good news on the Rivals. So if the sizing fits then take a look there. My car much preferred the square setup to it's staggered setup now.

Thanks for the input! It's hard to get reviews that aren't, oh my gosh these tires rock! No one ever puts actually experience or data.

Went Toyo Proxes R888's used because they were a good deal with the enkei's I bought. Excited to get these babies on, they seem super sticky and we also just installed these tires on our go fast GT500, man does that thing turn and hook the duck up!

Went Toyo Proxes R888's used because they were a good deal with the enkei's I bought. Excited to get these babies on, they seem super sticky and we also just installed these tires on our go fast GT500, man does that thing turn and hook the duck up!

they should be good. just don't expect them to last a long time of course. Make sure you play with the tire pressures, general rule of thumb is that you want the wear line to reach down to the triangle on the side of the tire. Doing this will provide the most tread surface to the ground (promoting traction).

Tire-sidewall-triangle-mark.jpg

they should be good. just don't expect them to last a long time of course. Make sure you play with the tire pressures, general rule of thumb is that you want the wear line to reach down to the triangle on the side of the tire. Doing this will provide the most tread surface to the ground (promoting traction).

Why thanks for the Tip! I mostly just wanted the rims, and these tires just happened to be on them. Just getting my feet wet before I try to make a stand next year. And i went with 275/35r18's on the 9.5 wide rim.

Why thanks for the Tip! I mostly just wanted the rims, and these tires just happened to be on them. Just getting my feet wet before I try to make a stand next year. And i went with 275/35r18's on the 9.5 wide rim.

No problem bud. should be a good starting point for you. I started with my sumitomo 400 treadwears just to get my feet wet, then swapped to the BFG R1's and nearly shat myself lol. Good luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3676[/ATTACH]

With inspiration from iRoush, she is ready for her first autocross tomorrow.

nice man! looks good! Sigh... my BFG R1's are almost corded. luckily only 2 events left lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3676[/ATTACH]

With inspiration from iRoush, she is ready for her first autocross tomorrow.

Good luck man! Be sure to report back!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk