Tony

inner tie rods??

well i found out why my car was shaking so bad directly after hitting a crazy bump about a week or so ago. the inner tie rod is shot so i just wondered if anyone has changed these? is it a pita or pretty simple? will i def have to get an alignment? thanks for any info fellas...:)

Loosen the clamp around the inner boot where it goes over the rack, pull it back and there is a large nut that you unthread. (you'll obviously need to unthread it from the tie rod end as well).

I actually replaced both of mine yesterday. It's pretty easy. Remove wheel, disconnect outer tie-rod from spindle by hitting the arm of the tie rod, NOT the ball/socket. Remove inner tie rod boot(you'll have to secure it with hose clamps afterwards) and remove the rivet from the giant tie rod nut. To do this, hammer the head of the rivet up just a bit, and then grab the exposed part of the rivet with pliers and pull it out. Now, unscrew the tie rod off of the rack while using a crescent wrench to keep the rack shaft from turning. It won't actually turn, but you don't want to put pressure on it. Once the tie rod is off just put the outer tie rod onto the new inner tie rod the same distance from the end as the old one. You'll see what i'm talking about. There's a nut that you match up to the old one and your alignment should stay the same. To install, just screw the new one on with the outer connected, hammer the rivet in, secure the boot, screw the outer tie rod back onto the spindle, and lastly put on your wheel. Check toe settings and you're done. Get an alignment if you feel you might have got it wrong.

Oh, and remember to put some grease around the open ball/socket area of the inner tie rod before you cover it with the boot.
aw really? ok will do.

Yeh, it's real easy. The hardest part is removing the outer tie rod because it can be stuck in there pretty good, and removing the rivet. I usually just take a screwdriver and a hammer and push up the head of the rivet where I can grab it with pliers. If you don't remove the rivet you could flat-top some of your threads on your steering rack, plus it'd be really hard to get it off lol.

For freeing up the jam nut and tie rod end (if they haven't been recently removed), I've found the easiest way is to wire brush the threads on the tie rod, then heat the nut with a propane torch to expand it. It'll spin easily then. You can do the same on the tie rod end if it won't budge also.

3448_large_image.jpg

By the time you replace both tie rods and buy two rack boots, you are almost up to the price of a rebuilt rack. Buy a rebuilt rack and two outer tie rod ends and just replace the whole thing. That saves you a ton of work.

Kurt

i have no need for an entire rack. i just jammed one inner tie rod on the passenger side. both drivers side and the passenger outer tie rods are all in perfect working order. thanks fellas for the tips and this is gonna be a fn blast...........not!!!!!!!

I did inners and outers in the parking lot at my apartment in about 20mins with basic hand tools, just make sure you count how many turns you take it out of the outer and try to put the new one in the same amount of turns so its close enough to drive down the road to get it aligned :)

i got it in this mourning, lol! its at b-line here in cols getting aligned now! they didnt wanna do it at first cause its been lowered! i hate bs like that! had to argue with them to get the to fn align it!

my front wheels have the slightest camber and i mean very slight! i think they like every other chain of automotive service centers are just afraid they will damage something. dont wanna be held accountable, lol!