AZSN95SNAKE

Bad motor mounts at the track?

Not sure if this is the right section but it is a Question regarding the track so I figured it's acceptable. if not, mods please move it to the correct section.

Is it a bad idea to run at the track with bad motor mounts?

I really need the practice, as my first time there was horrible. The track only opens 1-2 times a month since it's so hot and humid here right now.

the mounts are cracked they vibrate upon initial cranking, and as I proceed to move forward in first gear. no other gear gets that vibration just in first for like 400rpm.

Should I not risk it? or is it not that big of a deal?

I apologize for indirect spelling and grammar; on my phone at work lol

Edited by AZSN95SNAKE
wrong word used

You gota pay to play.I would fix em first :)

It would be worth it to take the money you were going to spend at the track to get in, as well as gas you would have spent and put it tward a new set of mounts.

Worst case the motor could twist after it has completly broke the mount and it hits the hood :(

yeah I did a google search and came up with guys saying they neglected them and had the motor hit the hood lol

well I already have the mounts, props to Tousely Ford, just no time until next week. but mounts suck with no lift in a garage on 32vs lol.

coupe5ohh: guess who forgot to put the mounts in when the motor was out ;) lol. yeah I forget stuff lol. I don't want to deal with them tho, they are a pain on these big head motors. also someone stole my engine hoist! so gotta use a jack. it's hella gay.

coupe5ohh: guess who forgot to put the mounts in when the motor was out ;) lol. yeah I forget stuff lol. I don't want to deal with them tho, they are a pain on these big head motors. also someone stole my engine hoist! so gotta use a jack. it's hella gay.

ahahah fail!

I snuck mine into the shop at work and banged out both mounts with new poly mounts in about 15-20 mins. A Lift makes life so much easier!

Ah you lucky bastard! Is it that easy when it's in the air? I figured it still might be a B! My friend works at his Dad's shop and he offered to let me use the lift and a helping hand if I buy him beer but our schedules haven't matched at all.

azsn95snake what part of AZ are you in?

Knuckles! It's me 1997GT4.6 lol. Just changed my screen name lol. But I'm in Chandler; last I recall you were in Mesa?

Can you not afford new motor mounts? If so, take some bailing wire, and just wrap multiple loops between the top of the motor mount and the bottom of the K-member and tie it off. That will keep anything too drastic from happening. I don't think a motor mount is truly bad until the shifter smacks your passenger in the thigh.

Kurt

Can you not afford new motor mounts? If so, take some bailing wire, and just wrap multiple loops between the top of the motor mount and the bottom of the K-member and tie it off. That will keep anything too drastic from happening. I don't think a motor mount is truly bad until the shifter smacks your passenger in the thigh.

Kurt

I hope to hell this is not a serious post and a complete failured attempt to be funny. Buy new motor mounts and install them. DO NOT run with bad ones at the track. Unless you want a dent in your hood from the mount ripping completely out and the motor twisting.

I'm not joking in the least. I've seen in done so many times that I've become confident of the procedure. I swear there was a time when half the Mustangs running at Moroso had their motor mounts wired down. The latter part was supposed to be funny, but I have been in a car that did that.

Kurt

Edited by revhead347

If anything you should bolt up a torque bar (not sure of correct name) but summit sells them for cheap and it bolts to your inner frame rail on the drivers side and mounts to a head bolt at the front of the head normally. Never really seen this done on a mod motor car but its the correct way to do it. And will not permit and motor flex. Some guys that run rubber mounts on the street and then hook these up while running at the track... But at the end of the day if your mounts are broken or collapsed you should not be at the track...

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

I can see wrapping a good mount help control the torque over. But I would never run a bad mount at the track.

Most of the guys did it after the mounts started to go bad. That bailing wire is incredibly strong; if you wrap en engine mount with it, you can pick up the front of the car from the engine with a hoist and it won't move at all. The downside is that once you cinch the engine mount down with it, it's going to feel like you are driving with solid motor mounts.

Kurt

Never heard of such a procedure but I'm not a hardcore racer. That's interesting and I'll have to read up on that. I most likely woudn't try such a thing though lol.

LOL No at the time I asked the question I had the motor mounts sitting in my closet for at least 4 months lol. But not to worry I installed them with my bro in laws help. Everyone complains that they are so hard to do on a 4v in a garage; bunch of BS. Engine hoist and a good floor jack should do the trick.