jasonkb77

Black Diamond Lights Fitment..

So first off, Im new to the forum.. Hello everyone!

Ive recently bought a 97 GT and swapping out the cloudy headlights/markers was first order of business. I bought "Depo" black diamond light set from a reputable ebay dealer. I love the way they look, however the fitment and quality Im not particularly fond of. As you will notice in the picture below, the ds marker looks to sit low and sunken too far in.. PS is better, but not ideal either. As far as I can see, there is no way of adjusting this. But Im hoping you fellas can confirm or deny this for me. 

Notice the size and shape of the nipples coming off the headlight itself.. /facepalm

20140529_143122_zps6cbc545e.jpg

So first off, Im new to the forum.. Hello everyone!

Ive recently bought a 97 GT and swapping out the cloudy headlights/markers was first order of business. I bought "Depo" black diamond light set from a reputable ebay dealer. I love the way they look, however the fitment and quality Im not particularly fond of. As you will notice in the picture below, the ds marker looks to sit low and sunken too far in.. PS is better, but not ideal either. As far as I can see, there is no way of adjusting this. But Im hoping you fellas can confirm or deny this for me. 

Notice the size and shape of the nipples coming off the headlight itself.. /facepalm

First off let me start by saying welcome to the forum! 

Secondly, as unfortunate is it is, shoddy fitting headlights is something that seems to plague sn95's all over. The main thing that looks off on your corner lights is the location of the little weatherstriping piece. If you have your oem lights that you can pull them off of, the effort is entirely worth it. That may help the gap issue. 

Third, you can cut the nipples off and sand em down if you're real careful, though I've never done it and it definitely intimidates me.

Hate to tell you but finding a set of aftermarket lights that actually fit right seems to be nearly impossible. Heck my original lights didn't even look like they fit right.

Like Det_Riot said, you could cut/sand the "nipples" off the lights to smooth em out. Just make sure there isn't a bubble under any of them or you'll sand a pinhole in your light and ruin your new lights... Be careful and take your time. 

Just did the sanding of the headlight "nipples". 

Another tip: Mine had UV coating and I ended up sanding the whole lense to make it look right. 

Thought I was going to just cut and sand the three nipple spots since the lights were in very good condition already. It turned into a whole day process.

• Supporting Member

Just did the sanding of the headlight "nipples". 

Another tip: Mine had UV coating and I ended up sanding the whole lense to make it look right. 

Thought I was going to just cut and sand the three nipple spots since the lights were in very good condition already. It turned into a whole day process.

Dammit me too man! I did this on another vehicle with aftermarket lights (my e36 w/angel eyes) and was frustrated to find I needed to then sand on both etc etc...

Point being, I second 410's post. Be prepared for the worst I guess. 

Dammit me too man! I did this on another vehicle with aftermarket lights (my e36 w/angel eyes) and was frustrated to find I needed to then sand on both etc etc...

Point being, I second 410's post. Be prepared for the worst I guess. 

lol! Much fun was had...