scottyp

Long tube headers and O2 sensor issues

I just got me a 2004 Mustang Gt 4.6L and the guy I got it from put on long tube headers and Borla exhaust. The service engine light is on, it reads P0153 Bank 2 Sensor 1 - O2 sensor Circuit Slow Response. He said it had this code because of the long tube heads, which makes sense. Well a few days ago I decided to hook up my OBDII scanner and now it gives me that P0153 code I previously mentioned but it also gave me a code and I believe it said the Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor is stuck and another code saying Bank 2 Sensor 1 O2 sensor is running lean. I'm just wanting to know if the o2 sensor is actually the problem or is something else causing those codes? Maybe a vacuum leak or maybe it needs tuned. I'm on a budget and don't want to waste money on a new O2 sensor if that isn't the problem is all lol. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

im not an expert on LT's and the effects it has on O2's, but its your upstream O2 and your motor runs off the readings its getting from them.  Im sure someone might have a better response, but you could try swapping O2's and see if the codes goes to the other bank, or if it stays at that one. 

replace the O2 sensor. Longtubes will not cause a "slow response" code.

When I tune 5.0's for long tubes, I increase the O2 delay time from 8ms(ish) to 14ms(ish)... and thats just to keep the AFR's from swinging wildly.

One other thing you can do is to run a ground wire to the body of the O2 sensor. It helps... alot!

The transport delay and heater duty cycle need to be increased 10-15%. I had the same issue when I put my mid lengths in. It's a common issue. The slow response code is because the headers don't transfer as much heat as stock manifolds. A quick test is to warm the car up and clear the code. If the code doesn't come back then you just need the tune tweaked.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk