SneakySonBeach

Need to paint decklid

i picked up an autum orange wingless decklid for $35 and its pretty straight/rust free, you can tell its been sprayed before but i would like to know the exact steps i would have to take to change this from the scratched up bad job before to painting it laser red. would like to sand and prep myself and i know a guy who would paint for free just need to buy the paint so where could get enough e9 to paint an entire decklid?

If it's clean (no rust, etc, like you say) you can just go over the whole surface of the lid with 600. Using a DA would work best because the scratches are all uniformed and consistent. Hit it until there's no shiny spots left (anywhere, at all). Shiny spots mean it's not scuffed and the paint won't adhere. You'll probably go through like 10 pieces of paper doing so. Just get cheap paper, there's really not much need for expensive paper with this since its getting resprayed. Finishing paper like 1500+ is a different story.

If it's clean (no rust, etc, like you say) you can just go over the whole surface of the lid with 600. Using a DA would work best because the scratches are all uniformed and consistent. Hit it until there's no shiny spots left (anywhere, at all). Shiny spots mean it's not scuffed and the paint won't adhere. You'll probably go through like 10 pieces of paper doing so. Just get cheap paper, there's really not much need for expensive paper with this since its getting resprayed. Finishing paper like 1500+ is a different story.

where would i get the paint though? is there any place that i could buy e9 in like a rattle can?

where would i get the paint though? is there any place that i could buy e9 in like a rattle can?

Look for a paint shop, they'll help you out. Google has to turn something up.

The issue with laser red is that its a 3-stage paint :-/ you could get a rattle can but idk how well it would actually matcj

That's a stretch of truth. Yes, it's a 3 stage but it's more of a bragging right for the salesmen back in the SN days. Whoever sprays it will do a fine job. A 3 stage won't change the price much anyways.

Look for a paint shop, they'll help you out. Google has to turn something up.

That's a stretch of truth. Yes, it's a 3 stage but it's more of a bragging right for the salesmen back in the SN days. Whoever sprays it will do a fine job. A 3 stage won't change the price much anyways.

so am i better off just waiting to get the whole the car painted or? i mean im sure that would be the best but i also like doing things myself and having it turn out good

so am i better off just waiting to get the whole the car painted or? i mean im sure that would be the best but i also like doing things myself and having it turn out good

That's up to you, I would. No matter how good the painter is there's still a chance of it not matching. Laser red is pretty simple though, not compared to some of the colors out there today.

That's up to you, I would. No matter how good the painter is there's still a chance of it not matching. Laser red is pretty simple though, not compared to some of the colors out there today.

ok i think ill just wait then. hopefully buying a beater by the end of the month and then saving for paint

The chance of you taking that paint code to a paint store and them then matching your aged paint right off that code is pretty slim.  If you want it to match they would need to take a sample of your paint to allow for the fading to be matched correctly and for the new part to not stick out.

If you have someone that will do it for free I would recommend that route rather then rattle cans.

Sherwin Williams bro. It'll be hard to match it exactly but it'll be closer than rattle can. Had to buy paint to redo my front bumper cover. Since my paint is about 17 years old there wasn't an exact match so it's a tad lighter, but it's pretty dang close.

• Supporting Member

Sherwin Williams bro. It'll be hard to match it exactly but it'll be closer than rattle can. Had to buy paint to redo my front bumper cover. Since my paint is about 17 years old there wasn't an exact match so it's a tad lighter, but it's pretty dang close.

This. So this. Took a sample of my paint which is 22 years old and they matched it flawlessly.