Younts_Autosport

Opinions/question on gear ratio

I wanted to get some opinions and had a few questions in regards to my gear ratio.

The car is an automatic and I'm running the stock 3.27 gears but I'm interested in swapping. Most recommend 4.10s for an auto but I'm afraid to go that route without some reassurance because I do a ton of highway driving. I've also been known to cruise the highway in 3rd/lock out of overdrive from time to time (at 70-80 mph in 3rd RPMs aren't too high, 3000-3500, makes it more enjoyable that way instead of going into overdrive, I know I'm killing my gas mileage). I'm leaning towards 3.73s because of this, but I can easily be swayed. I know some people will say that 4.10s on the highway has worked fine for them. I've been playing with a speed/RPM/gear calculator but I don't have a solution yet.

I'd also like to know what kind of gain I might see in the 1/4 mile with each ratio if anyone has input.

Thanks in advance, everybody.

i guess what do you want out of the gear change?  1/4 mile stuff?   street machine?  idk, i would just put in 4.10's and not look back, possibly even 4.30's.   its not going to kill your gas mileage unless your laying into it everywhere you go, which you will for the first few months because changing gears is an awesome upgrade.    if you're worried about gas mileage and the 4.10's, dont sweat it, its not going to change a whole lot with highway driving.  

I actually think now I should just go with 4.10s, since that seems to be the universal recommendation no matter the circumstances. And it would probably be better to put in 4.10s rather than put in 3.73s and possibly end up wishing I'd have went with 4.10s. And honestly, I stopped caring about gas mileage a long time ago for the sake of enjoying myself in my car. This would be the first time I ever swapped gears before so what would I have to lose?

i'm not sure if it's just me but my 3.73's in my old auto were nice and easy to drive with but in this 5spd they took some SERIOUS getting use to lol. i just decided to not even bother with 1st gear anymore because i was always chirping my fn tires at EVERY stop light. and not in a "i'm a badass mustang guy" kinda way but in a i don't know how to drive a fuukin manual kinda way

but i think 3.73's will make you happy. huge difference while not being stressful on the highway. no difference in fuel usage that i've noticed. 

i'm not sure if it's just me but my 3.73's in my old auto were nice and easy to drive with but in this 5spd they took some SERIOUS getting use to lol. i just decided to not even bother with 1st gear anymore because i was always chirping my fn tires at EVERY stop light. and not in a "i'm a badass mustang guy" kinda way but in a i don't know how to drive a fuukin manual kinda way

but i think 3.73's will make you happy. huge difference while not being stressful on the highway. no difference in fuel usage that i've noticed. 

i still dont see how you're chirping all the time haha.  im always in 1st from a stop sign/light with mine and don;t have that issue.  eaassyyyy on the clutch, let er slip a touch :)  they do take some getting used to! but they're not that bad, except once youre at 5mph youre shifting into 3rd. lol

i still dont see how you're chirping all the time haha.  im always in 1st from a stop sign/light with mine and don;t have that issue.  eaassyyyy on the clutch, let er slip a touch :)  they do take some getting used to! but they're not that bad, except once youre at 5mph youre shifting into 3rd. lol

yea idk man. i always chalked it up as having shitty tires. then i started worrying about riding my clutch too much lol. so i just went ahead and started out in 2nd. i never really liked the feel of this clutch though anyway. very small window between disengage and engage lol. 

sorry for derail op. my shitty shifting abilities shouldn't sway your opinion one way or another :P