Black & Red

Underdrive Pulleys - No B.S.:

Thinking about a set for my stock 2001 GT as part of small upgrades.

Couple of questions:

How does it affect A/C performance???

Power steering??? I've heard some guys say it makes the steering hard to turn in town at low speed. Other say no change.

Which set is better and why????

Thanks for your time and expertise!!!!!!!!

on my old fox bodies, the underdrive pulleys would lead to some charging issues.  Eventually I sold them off, went back to stock except for the crank pulley.  On my 94, I went with just an underdrive crank pulley (94 cobra pulley).  I did notice a difference, but it was pretty slight.  

If you keep your eyes open they are fairly easy to find used for $50.  Myself and friends noticed charging issues at idle(11.9 volts).  A lot of them say to bump the idle up to compensate for this but for me it meant the idle needed to be 1200 rpm.   When my alt burned out 6 months later(my friend lasted 9 minths) I put the stock pulleys back on and got my $50 back when I sold them to someone else.  When you slow the alt down it reduces its output, while still trying to power the same load and also reduces its ability to cool itself.  If you do a lot of city driving I would not recommend them.  Its not a mod that you will slap on, and then go for a drive and come home saying you can definitely feel there is more power. 

If you keep your eyes open they are fairly easy to find used for $50.  Myself and friends noticed charging issues at idle(11.9 volts).  A lot of them say to bump the idle up to compensate for this but for me it meant the idle needed to be 1200 rpm.   When my alt burned out 6 months later(my friend lasted 9 minths) I put the stock pulleys back on and got my $50 back when I sold them to someone else.  When you slow the alt down it reduces its output, while still trying to power the same load and also reduces its ability to cool itself.  If you do a lot of city driving I would not recommend them.  Its not a mod that you will slap on, and then go for a drive and come home saying you can definitely feel there is more power. 

Great reply!!!! Thanks!!!!

My SN95 is a 1,000 mile a week driver!!!!

1k a week?!?  that's a LOT!  I was doing 150 a day for a while.  That commute was the sole reason I bought my 94 - easy and cheap to maintain.  With that being said, I've done two voltage regulators and brushes on the stock alternator, and it still works perfectly at 235k miles.  I've had the 94 cobra crank pulley on the car since 100k with zero issues.