Black & Red

2001 Mustang GT with OEM Bullitt Springs - Rear Shock Question:

I have a 2001 GT with 2001 Bullitt Springs pulled from a 30,000 mile untouched Bullitt, springs still have the Ford part number tags attached.

When I put them in, I noticed a harsh ride (only in the rear) over bumps. I discovered the Bullitt's had a shorter pinion snubber, so I installed a Maximum Motorsports Progressive Urethane Snubber. That helped a little, but ride in the rear is still rough over big bumps. The car has a black, large-tube Gabriel shock on the back that was there when I bought the car.

I bought a new set of Motorcraft 5U2Z-18V125-VJ shocks from my local dealer for $27.00 each through the shop. They look really well made and appear top have a snubber inside them. 

I wonder if I am bottoming on the shocks and not the snubber....????

Thoughts????

post-727-0-95725500-1420826525_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-40639900-1420826541_thumb.jpe

post-727-0-07673500-1420826560.jpg

well it looks like the stock spring rates in the rear were 210, and the bullitt spring rates are 250.   so it will make a slight difference back there, and will be a little rougher.  Have you installed the new shocks yet, or did you just buy them and set them aside for now?

what model gabriel shock is in there too?  they seem to be the lowest level/cheapest shock you can get from rockauto. 

The motorcraft shock you got is about middle of the row at $29 a pop from them as well.  

this is the part number listed to be used on the rear of Bullitt mustangs.  1R3318008AA, 1R3Z18125AA ,  Motorcraft AA606

It has a Gabriel Ultra shock absorber marked '748638' which crosses to a '69898.' They look nearly new.

I made a paint mark on the shock body with the car at rest and 3/4 tank fuel, then made another mark once removed at full compression. The shock only has 2-1/8" travel when installed, between ride height and full contact with the internal bump stop...

Ok,

The Maximum Motorsports progressive urethane snubber has about 2-3/4" distance with the car sitting on the ground, and the marks I made on the Gabriel shocks indicate the shock itself will travel 2-1/8" from normal ride height to contact with it's internal bumper, so in theory, the shocks are going 'solid' before the snubber makes full contact. There is only very, very light evidence of contact between snubber and axle.

Now, I did notice one strange thing (about the Gabriels) just before I switched out the shocks...

The first time I shoved down really hard on the edge of the open trunk, the car dropped without resistance at all, but on the second try, the shock was giving resistance.

I will know how it works out when I drive home later tonight...

Does anyone know how far a Bullitt rear shock (1R3318008AA, 1R3Z18125AA ,  Motorcraft AA606) will compress????

just move onto some nice aftermarket shocks, get rid of the OEM and low level stuff.  

im dropped almost 2.5" in the rear and ran stock shocks without bottoming out.  So might be worth it to still swap out the Gabriels and put in the motorcraft ones. you already "invested" money... 

im dropped almost 2.5" in the rear and ran stock shocks without bottoming out.  So might be worth it to still swap out the Gabriels and put in the motorcraft ones. you already "invested" money... 

Wow....

I cannot even imagine a 2.5" drop.

I only have 2-1/8" shock travel with Bullitt springs, which means I had only 3.00" overall travel with stock springs!!!!! :o

WOW.....

Installed the OEM Motorcrafts Friday after work. They changed the entire character of the car. The ride went from firm, almost like an over-inflated tire to smooth.

The Motorcrafts have a smaller body than the Gabriel's and they compress to the same height, so I think Blackmage is right that with Bullitt springs, the shorter AA606 Motorcrafts (for the Bullitt) may be better.

Here are my observations. . .

The Gabriel Ultras are well made. They seem to have less compression damping and more extension damping than the OEM Motorcrafts. The Motorcrafts seem closer to 50/50 valving.

With the Motorcrafts installed I can feel the Maximum Motorsports progressive pinon snubbed working. With the Gabriel's if felt like the shock was limiting travel before the snubber came into play.

I think a 1 inch drop bracket on the rear axle housing would greatly improve shock travel and response...

Lmfao, I really can't take anything you say seriously anymore. You sir win the coveted forum looney tune of the year award. Congratulations, you're award is a gold plated Maximum Motorsports Progressive Pinion Snubber!!!

After a few thousand miles of driving So cal freeways, I am done with the solid "Thump" over bumps in the rear of the car. I could use Fox shocks for more travel or add a drop bracket, common to many coilover setups, but I decided to try and do it the right way, since I already have the Bullitt springs.

Using a verified Bullitt VIN fragment, I ordered the correct shocks (Motorcraft #AA-606) which came marked both "Ford" and "Tokico." I picked them up at my local Ford dealer for around $40.00 each.

post-727-0-60264600-1425068486_thumb.jpe