Tony

dumb question im sure!!

can a bad ball joint cause a bad shake? before i go through all the pita of changing these ball joints just wonder if thats whats causing the shake up front. its not the inner tie rod cause i just replaced that and it did nothing for the shake. thanks and sorry if a stupid ?

Jack it up. Move tire in n out by holding the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other hand. Look and see if theres movement. Also check tie rod ends. Doing the same thing except hold the left and right side of the tire.

And yes,.... it can cause a shake if bad enough

hmmm....shits buggin me. the wheel had a slight play left to right but none top to bottom but the thing is i hit a fucked up bump a few weeks ago and thought it was the inner tie rods but its not, lol! thanks detroit, lol! i've asked dumber questions, lol!

Sometimes its hard to feel the top and bottom play. I always use a pry bar between the spindle and control arm to see of there's movement

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

i was wondering bout that. so would it shake ya think even if the play is very little? i get some squeaks sometimes from the ball joints so they will need replaced one day anyway but hoping thats what is causing the fn shake, lol!

Shake would most likely be from tire rod end or bad control arm bushings. If there's enough play in a ball joint it could cause a slight shake

Did you taket he wheels to see if they got bent yet? It shouldnt be hard for any discount or belle tire to check them. especially if its shaking...

How about the wheel bearings?
those seem to be fine. no noise anyway.
Shake would most likely be from tire rod end or bad control arm bushings. If there's enough play in a ball joint it could cause a slight shake

yea its a pretty bad shake, anything over 35mph and it gets bad.. hard to tell if the outer tie rods are bad, no movement in the joint but who knows. i think im just gonna replace the ball joints and see what happens. if that dont help then anybody want a mustang, lol!

Did you taket he wheels to see if they got bent yet? It shouldnt be hard for any discount or belle tire to check them. especially if its shaking...

Or threw a weight

see heres the deal with that, i used to have 8.5" wheels all around and changed the rear wheels to 10" wheels and still have the extra set of 8.5s. so i switched bboth front wheels with the spares and it didnt change so i dont think it could be the wheel.

^^ This.. Ima tire guy and completely forgot about that.

Edit.. Nevermind. You just posted you switched out the wheels.

I saw that after I posted mine

^^ This.. Ima tire guy and completely forgot about that.

Edit.. Nevermind. You just posted you switched out the wheels.

lol, i wish thats what it was but its not. two totally different wheels on it now and still does it.

i havent changed the outer tie rods yet or the ball joints but its just hard to think the ball joints would cause that much of a shake..idk though. might just be the outter tie rods look ok but there not too huh?

the only way to really have a good IDE is jack up the car an try the grab wheel and shake method.
just a little left to right play and nothing really top and bottom

uuuuuuuuuuu, just replace it lmao
haha! you just replace it :) i guess im going to just dont think its the problem. i mean mine could be bad but like onyx said, if they were bad enough to cause a real bad shake then i would here or see something from them. they seem tight and pretty quite really. cant hurt to try i guess. and plus its also alot of fun :(