Tabres

No Fly Zone Midwest 1/2 mile event videos

Went to a 1/2 mile event put on by Omega Motorsports called No Fly Zone - Midwest on Saturday (9/19/2015).  It's a group from California that normally does events there and in Arizona.  The event was held in Rantoul, Illinois at the Rantoul National Aviation Center, formerly Chanute Air Force Base.  The place was built during WWI and was in operation up until 1993.  Now it's owned by the village of Rantoul and is used for civilian purposes.  A lot of SCCA autocross events are run there, actually.

Nice enough place but the runway and taxi way areas that were used as a return road to the pit area aren't really kept up like I would expect them to be for a former Air Force base.  I know I have a pretty stiff suspension in my car but if I had any fillings in my teeth they definitely would have rattled loose.  The right lane on the runway was especially bad.

I wound up borrowing a Go Pro from my brother for the event and bought a mount to attach it to my rollbar.  This turned out to be not the greatest idea.  It vibrated enough from the surface and my suspension that every video after my first run are out of focus.  I had no idea at the time.  So that kinda sucks, but oh well.  My brother during the course of another project he was using his Go Pro for had removed the IR filter from the lens and so all of the video have a little bit of a purple caste to them.

I didn't wind up getting video for all of the runs but got a few.  The first run I went out on basically a reconnaissance pass and took it easy, ran 152mph on low boost (17lbs, ~690rwhp).

Here is my 2nd pass.  This is again low boost (17lbs, ~690rwhp).  As embarassing as it is to admit, of all gears, I actually missed 4th this pass but still ran a 154mph.  I like my MGW shifter in general but damn is it pretty notchy when you try to shift quickly.

This was my 3rd run and probably the most put together of the day. This run was on low boost (17lbs, ~690rwhp) and was 157mph.  Not sure if you can notice in the blurred video, but the orange cones at the end are the 1/2 mile marker.  I wound up letting out early before the marker because I'd hit the limiter in 5th rather than shift into 6th.  I wish I'd just stayed in it and let it ride the limiter.

The last two runs of the day I decided to turn the boost controller up.  I'd actually never driven it on high boost since I'd gotten it tuned about a year and a half ago.  This run was high boost (22lbs, ~810rwhp).  In the right lane was a BMW 135i that was quick all day.  I staged the car pretty far back trying to get more room to spool the turbo so he had several cars on me at the start but I was running him down pretty hard.  On the higher boost the car wound up spinning 2nd and most of 3rd and I also had to shift into 6th this pass shortly before the 1/2 mile marker and probably lost a reasonable amount of mph doing so.  The car just doesn't pull in 6th  I ended up running 152mph.  Lesson learned, less power = more traction = car goes faster.

Decided to do one more run on high boost (22lbs, ~810rwhp) before I took off for home.  Took the right lane this time, which was super bumpy and like a patchwork quilt.  My rear coilovers are so stiff all the car did was spin and bounce around.  You can actually hear it in the video.  Spun into 4th this run and just kinda cruised it out at the end because the run was pretty much blown.  Again was a 152mph pass.

All in all I had a good time.  If I had a gear change from 3.55 down to a 3.27 or had a different ratio T56 I'm sure it would be a mid 160's car on low boost if I could get a clean pass (I was on low boost and ran my buddies C6 Z06 and was dead even paced with him and he ran 165mph).  I could put a taller tire on it, could adjust the rev limiter higher blah blah blah.  I have no interest in changing the setup around just to chase a number.  I went out, had a good time, car stayed in one piece and ran well and I drove it home.

Aside from my runs there were lots of cool cars there... a TON of Vettes, watched a TT 03 Cobra blow its motor, there was a 2400rwhp twin turbo Lambo Gallardo doing standing starts from exactly the 1/2 mile measure and running 195mph passes.  There was a 2500rwhp big block twin turbo cutlass with full interior, big ass stereo with amps and subs in the back that was running 185mph... totally wild car.

TL;DR - Had a good time.  Car was limited by gearing, saw cool cars, had a good day.  Sorry video quality sucks.

The event I ran there aren't any classes. It's just fun runs. No plans on aero or anything, though. I'd be better served doing a lighter wheel and tire setup and rear gear probably. I just went for fun, not to compete.

It's a pain in the ass to set up and adjust for how little I would make use of it. It's a street car 98% of the time that I just cruise around. If I was doing events like this on a regular basis I would invest the time and energy in it but I'm not. On a good road, with the tires good and hot the high boost setting hooks well enough for me.

Frankly it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. The car is still heavily mechanically limited based on the gearing.

.20 over 4.6 liter, stock crank, -11cc pistons, forged rods, 03/04 cylinder heads, stock 96 cams, 03/04 Mach 1 lower intake, 96 Cobra upper intake.

Any work done to the heads?  Valvetrain?  Those are some nice numbers for what seems like a fairly basic setup.  

I see you used the stock upper with the Mach lower.  Did you make your own adapter or get one from the dude that was selling them on SVTP?

Any work done to the heads?  Valvetrain?  Those are some nice numbers for what seems like a fairly basic setup.  

I see you used the stock upper with the Mach lower.  Did you make your own adapter or get one from the dude that was selling them on SVTP?

Completely stock heads.  Just normal maintenance on them, guides, seals, etc..  They have upgraded valve springs but otherwise that is it.

The adapter is the one the dude on SVTPerformance was selling.  It works well.

Car sounds awesome.  I bet it really shocks people when you let it loose.  Glad everything stayed together and no mishaps!

Thanks, man.  Yeah I think it surprised a few people at first.  Had some people come up to me saying they were surprised how quick it was and how they never would have guessed it was a turbo car because of how quiet it is.