Drake

Body filler

Just like the thread title says what body filler do you use.

Pros and Cons of the filler.

Good brand and brands to stay away from.

Thanks for the info and sorry for the thread jacking 330cube.

-Drake:cool-new:

for bumpers it would probably be recomended that you use filler with fiberglass in it already. The thin line on trunk lid would also probably be the same. The glass makes it stronger and in a location like that which will be subj to the slamming of a trunk you will want it as strong as possible.

For metal panels and engine bay smoothing I've used a product called All-Metal it can be obtained from Fastenal. for deck lid I would plug weld the deck lid and metal finish the panel then follow up with prime/paint. As far as fiberglass panels Dura-Glass is a great product I've had better luck with this over bondo.

Nice work on that bumper fill in! looks legit!!!!

Thanks man, it took a lot of sanding and going back over it with fresh bondo. all in all it turned out much better than expected.

I was afraid you might be able to see some ripples in it once it was all painted but it turned out smooth.

008.jpg

I would probably use some bondo with glass in it for that application myself as well as drilled some holes into the center of the letters prior to bondo. When you are done on the front put some dabs in the holes in the back and it will give a much stronger hold then just on the surface. No extra work either as far as sanding.

you do not need to drill them all out, but a 1/4" or so hole in the top/bottom of each of the letters will allow the filler to bond with the bumper better, as well as bond around/through the bumper when you push the filler through the hole. It makes for a better bond and a stronger hold on material that is meant to bend, where the filler is not.

it should be ok but I would be afraid a few seasons of heat/cold, possibly a light nudge that a bumper gets here/there and that one of them could pop out. The holes should help to prevent this.

Yes, for me the car sits in the garage 99% of the time only gets drove for a short time on some sats and suns and never sits in a parking lot for longer than 30 mins.

So I am not to worried about it, but if i drove it more than that I would be.

I would probably use some bondo with glass in it for that application myself as well as drilled some holes into the center of the letters prior to bondo. When you are done on the front put some dabs in the holes in the back and it will give a much stronger hold then just on the surface. No extra work either as far as sanding.

excellent idea ttocs that will make a huge difference with body filler gives the material an anchor to hold itself into.

I use this technique regularly when I am molding into stock panels with fiberglass. The glass will stick to the plastic like it will almost anything but it does not bond to it. Where the glass meets the plastic I drill a bunch of small holes, and slap a layer or two of material on the back of it as well. Done this many times and its worked out well. Short of drilling the holes it also doesn't add any real work to it. You fill/sand the exact same way I would just take those last few bits of filler that are starting to harden and dab them on the back if you can get to them.