Jeemee

1998 Cobra Fuel Systems

The 98 Cobra fuel system is unique. 1998 was a transition year between return style and returnless fuel systems. 98 Cobras have a return style but also have a basket that the fuel pump sits in. The OEM pump is a 190lph pump. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit without modifying the basket. It is too tall. The 2002-2006 Lincoln Aviator has a 270lph fuel pump that fits and is plug and play. Only fault here is that it can suck the basket dry of fuel, burning up the pump. You can drill holes in the basket, which helps.

The OEM pump is expensive.

The Lincoln Aviator pump is the best bet. It's cheaper and good for 450whp. Part number is 3C5Z-9H307-CA.

I also hear the Ford GT pump works but I'm not sure. Hope this is useful.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk 2

1) stock 98-04 GT, 98-01 Cobra, 03/04 Mach 1pumps are 110 lph, not 190lph. The old SVO division of ford used to sell an upgrade for the 98's that was a 160lph (might have been a 190lph) pump.

2) the focus pump will work on the 98-04 cars. It's a direct plug and play. 99+ cars have the fpdm which controls the voltage sent to the pump, therefore controlling the fuel pressure. 98 cars don't have an fpdm because our cars use the fuel pressure regulator to control fuel pressure....our systems have continuous voltage at the pump.

3) a good little bit of info to know: main reason ford switched to the return less system was for emissions....easier to control fuel tank pressures/venting/purging when you don't have hot fuel being returned to the tank.

Oh.....also....I remember hearing that some of the early model 98's had the 94-97 fuel system/tank/pump set up, but I have yet to ever run into one of those

Edited by reivaxtorres

Here's a question, I have a walbro 255 gss340 out of a fox body and my buddy needs a pump for his 98. Is there any way that he can make this pump work? Searches are not really giving me anything important.

Most companies rate the Aviator at 310 but its actually 270 like mentioned in the OP. Great pump, I have personally gone 382rwhp with an Aviator pump and still had 18% FPDC (Fuel Pump Duty Cycle) left. Not sure if I would trust it in a return style fuel system but that is just me. Also, if you do intend to drill holes in the basket, make sure you do it in the front of the basket, otherwise when you go wide open throttle, fuel will just come out of the basket.

did any of the 98's come with a returnless set up? if you get on aeromotive's website they list alot of the 98 cobra fuel system parts as 98 1/2 &early or 98 1/2 later..... any idea as to why this is? im swaping a 98 cobra into my 94 and the fuel system is driving me nuts!

No, none came with returnless as far as I know, but we use the same pump as the returnless setup. The reason it's listed as an early 98 or a late model 98 is because as I mentioned earlier, I've heard that some of the very early model 98's had the same setup as the 94-97 models. The tank, hat, and pumps are different between the 94-97 model, 98 model, and the 99-04 model. The 98 and 99-04 model are very similar, main difference being that we have a return line going back into the hat and the 99-04 guys don't.

Im

Not sure what the cutoff was for the "early model" or the "late model", buy One way to kind of tell what pump you have without dropping the tank (but this IS NOT 100% guaranteed) is to look under your hood to see if your car has the holes drilled and tapped BY THE FACTORY for a strut brace. These only came in on the very early 98 models. Other than that, the only other way you would be definitively able to see what pump you have would be to drop the tank

did any of the 98's come with a returnless set up? if you get on aeromotive's website they list alot of the 98 cobra fuel system parts as 98 1/2 &early or 98 1/2 later..... any idea as to why this is? im swaping a 98 cobra into my 94 and the fuel system is driving me nuts!

You should be able to use the 94 tank and pump for your swap, however, I'm not sure if the fuel lines in the engine bay will reach the cobra fuel rails.

I just want to thank everyone for posting. I started this thread to make it easier to find info. I didn't get it entirely right but with everyone's contribution, it should help a lot. I'd love to see this forum packed with loads of info and diys. It takes me forever to nitpick through different forums and piece it together for use. Thanks again guys.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk 2

so i can use the 94 tank and pump? i was under the impression that since the 98 used the 99+ style pump it probably worked off of a variable voltage signal? i know that 98 did not have a FPDM, just kind of assumed that the voltage signal was modified by the PCM. I also looked at the wiring diagrams at work and the 98's have an inline dropping resistor with the fuel pump. hence why i had to buy a body harness to do the swap as well! if i had known i had to do all this to swap a 98 motor i would have just done the 03-04 swap!!